Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with a creature  (Read 633 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with a creature
« on: October 14, 2008, 08:56:33 pm »

So I decided to go about and create some custom creatures. I've decided to start with a few drakes to get things going. It's gone well with the first few but I'm a little stuck on my 4th one. I've been trying to give each drake it's only little special trait and I'm haveing a hard time with the Brown Drake. I decided to have a new metal made from the thing called dragon stone. I've been playing around with ways to do this and I've come up with a few ideas and would like some help

I first thought I could make a custom reaction for the corpse but realized that I can't have it only take brown drake corpse, it would take any and every corpse so it's out unless anyone has any solutions.

The second one would be just to do a [Itemcorpse] but that's seems sloppy to me as the ore would be created where the creature was killed and would create annoying hauling jobs which I don't want. I've already add the ore and finshed metal to the matgloss file so I thought maybe I could make the corpse a container and have the ore in it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:08:19 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a creature
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 08:57:17 pm »

*yoink*
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:02:16 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:08:25 pm »

Do what I did with the multiple dragons included in my as-of-yet-unfinished mod: use the skin.

[REACTION:BROWN_DRAKE_REACTION]
[NAME:process tanned brown drake hide]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:SKIN_TANNED:NO_SUBTYPE:LEATHER:DRAKE_BROWN]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:DRAGONSTONE]
[FUEL]

You'll probably need to edit that. Keep in mind that traders will also bring in brown drake leather, so you may want to do what I did a second time: make a second reaction for raw skins (will require some minor micromanagement on the part of the player to ensure they don't get tanned), and lower the success rate of reactions using tanned skins.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:10:08 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 09:11:44 pm »

Do what I did with the multiple dragons included in my as-of-yet-unfinished mod: use the skin.

Haha, that's a much more eloquent way, I feel stupid for not thinking of that during the whole time I was trying to figure out what to do. :P

Also if I set the Heatdam high on the leather does the heat protection also protect the person/dwarf wearing it or not?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:20:50 pm by Smitehappy »