Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Graphics] Can a Vermin creature have art?  (Read 865 times)

D_Malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Graphics] Can a Vermin creature have art?
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:59:42 am »

This has been bothering me a bit - I've been attempting to assign [VERMIN]-class creatures art, by use of the raw/graphics folder, but have yet to come across a method that works. So my question is, is this impossible? Are vermin currently doomed to exist simply as dots, or is there hope?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: [Graphics] Can a Vermin creature have art?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:55:19 am »

Well, turtles appear as a different graphic and various fish do too. Try looking to see if they have anything in their raws making them different. If not, then likely they are hard coded.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 08:59:50 am »

Yeah, they have a [TILE:whatever] tag just like everything else.  The argument is either a literal character in single quotes, like [TILE:'~'], or a character number, like [TILE:249].

e: oh, but actual tile graphics?  Doesn't look like it, unfortunately.

D_Malachi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:38:21 am »

Yeah, I was aware of the [TILE:(number or character)] bit (249 and 250 being the most common), specifically trying to set up graphics files in the raw/graphics folder to give each more unique art. Graphics sets, basically.

Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, here, this is part of what I have. If there are no mistakes, then it's fairly certain vermin can't be given unique non-basic graphics sets.

The top of the file, bitmap is 24-bit, 48x16 pixels, one 16x16 tile tall by three wide, and is properly in the "SFD" folder:

graphics_sfdmisc

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:SFDMISC]
   [FILE:SFD/SFDmisc.bmp]
   [TILE_DIM:16:16]
   [PAGE_DIM:3:1]

...and the creature entry, 2:0 being the third tile, top row, as per my understanding of how DF handles these things.

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:TOAD]
   [DEFAULT:SFDMISC:2:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

Unless I've missed something, I'll take this as a "not currently possible" and leave it as that under the assumption that it is, indeed, hard-coded. Thanks for the help in figuring this out.