Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: underground farming: fertilizing  (Read 1192 times)

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
underground farming: fertilizing
« on: October 07, 2008, 01:37:40 pm »

So, it seems like underground farm plots in dirt that haven't been muddied beforehand can't be fertilized, but underground farm plots that were muddied CAN be fertilized. (these assumptions could be wrong, but this is what my experience is)

Also, any plot classified as "light" even if underground can be fertilized.

Question:  Can you manipulate these rules in some way to make a fertilized plot out of an underground, unmuddied plot?

for instance, if you made a hybrid plot that was half above ground and half underground, could you then fertilize the entire thing, with fertilization applying to the entire plot?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: underground farming: fertilizing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 01:40:52 pm »

Half would follow light fertilization rules, the other half would follow underground rules.  I think.

Also of note are the different amounts of fertilizer required to fertilize an aboveground plot versus an underground muddy plot.

Not like you need the food boost though.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:44:07 pm »

you're right. you definitely don't need the food boost. However, fertilization reduces the number of bags/barrels/vials involved in dye making, milling, and plant processing tasks, as well as increasing the size of food stacks produced by brewers and cooks.  That's more what I'm focused on.

Maybe I'll do some testing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:47:41 pm by anomaly »

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »

You have to have a serious surplus of wood to justify burning it for increased growing efficiency.
But it does work miracles, doesn't it?
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas