Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reuse finished wooden goods  (Read 938 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Reuse finished wooden goods
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:25:23 am »

Hello,
I think it would be nice to be able tomark wooden products for melting recycling. Wood furnaces, wood crafters an wooden bolt makers would automatically use (stacks of) these in favor over logs. It'd be a great addition for people who like wood and peaceful coexistence with the elves such as myself.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Reuse finished wooden goods
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:50:05 am »

Been asked before, good to see it being requested again.
Something similar can be accomplished with a custom workshop and careful micro-management, but it not very good solution.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 12:33:22 am »

Rephikul, find that thread and revive it.  It's generally better to necro an old thread than make a new one.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:40:11 am »

peaceful coexistence with the elves such as myself.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.
On-topic:It'd be kinda hard to break apart wooden objects and mash 'em together into something new.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:57 am »

Well you can always burn them for ash/charcoal. And reusing wood is doable. It was done quite often especially in construction. If you have a bed then you have quite a few parts that can be used to make a chair which in return can be made into parts arrows/bolts. However you can't make a chair from arrows. So the game would need to know what it can and cannot do.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 10:11:45 am »

There was an old thread with a custom reaction set which allowed you to render wooden weapons/armor/crafts into charcoal or ash. That should be possible still...

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:41:49 pm »

All objects have sizes attached in their raws and such, correct?

Seems straightforward enough to tell workshop: If x> y, can recycle x into y. And if x<y, then cannot recycle. Some more basic maths and you could easily compute how many of y you can produce with one x too. Any remainders are destroyed for the sake of clutter.

Since most furniture items require one log, and one log makes one charcoal/ash, then its also reasonable to assume that you could burn larger wooden items down. Furthermore, if you had a similiar system to melting, smaller objects could all add so many fractions of a lump, and produce a lump when enough have been burned.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:42 am »

All I really want is the ability to burn wood items into ash.  But, I want to only burn poor quality items, that's the rub.

If custom reactions were able to give you a quality modifier, that would open the possibility for LOTS of neat new custom workshops, and open up all kinds of recycling.  I would prefer that to any hard-coded wood specific feature.

If the Almighty Toad implements quality selection for ingredients and outputs of custom reactions, the community can spend the time to implement the rest.  Like item recycling, cloth beds (!!!), legendary stone hammers & other weapons, engineering and mechanical items, etc, etc, etc.

That one little feature for custom workshops would open whole new doors of possibility.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:08:17 am by zilpin »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:39:07 am »

Yep, smelting mechanics sound reasonable for producing charcoal/ash. Designate object to be "b"urned and it will them be able to be used in burn object to ash/burn object to charcoal at wood burner, each object producing fraction and eventually adding up to whole bar.

Good use for all those -bin-s and +bed+s your carpented made right after embark. Priceless ability to get "emergency fuel".