Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Washington State Bans Carp Pedicures  (Read 1136 times)

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
Washington State Bans Carp Pedicures
« on: October 03, 2008, 10:06:34 am »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,432132,00.html

I had to ban them in my last fortress, too.  Dwarves without feet are poor workers. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Washington State Bans Carp Pedicures
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:58:01 pm »

Thanks for the article

Fringe_Worthy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:49:51 pm »

Mangled limb keeping you down?

Try our new carp pedicure for a clean feeling stump!

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 10:39:14 pm »

What a stupid thing to outlaw. Why the fuck should the government clamp down on something this harmless? Rich people want fish to eat their dead skin? Who cares?

I guess the Legislators had one too many dwarves devoured by their virtual counterparts in their freetime. They saw something with "Carp" printed on the bill and the freaked out and outlawed it to the greatest measure of their authority.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 11:11:32 pm »

What a stupid thing to outlaw. Why the fuck should the government clamp down on something this harmless? Rich people want fish to eat their dead skin? Who cares?

I guess the Legislators had one too many dwarves devoured by their virtual counterparts in their freetime. They saw something with "Carp" printed on the bill and the freaked out and outlawed it to the greatest measure of their authority.

I think it has to do with the Healthcare system trying to catch up with alternate medicine and force them to have "Standards".

Canada is trying to do the same.

Pi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 01:45:33 am »

Seriously? Let the poor rich morons do whatever the freak they want. If they want carps, and are willing to pay good money to get eaten by a school of carp, power to them.

Freakin' nanny state. Let the post a warning, so people know this is a dumb idea, if you must protect oyur citizens from thier own stupidity, but don't outlaw it. Freedom is important.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:10:07 am »

There is an appeal being made to make it legal, in fact lawmakers are considering legalizing it, but only after sanitary standards are put in place.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 05:36:26 am »

What's the absolute worst thing those fish could do? Brutally ripping off her leg and drowning her in the bucket notwithstanding

Sterilizing hysteria probably costs more lives than it saves when it goes to this level of crap. I somewhat doubt everyone uses boiling water when it's easier to abuse antibacterial fluids and make the critters immune over time

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 06:21:50 am »

Seriously? Let the poor rich morons do whatever the freak they want. If they want carps, and are willing to pay good money to get eaten by a school of carp, power to them.

Except they get it subsidized by health care systems. Instead of the money being spent on a new hospital, or something worthwhile.
Magma is overrated.

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 08:15:09 am »

What's the absolute worst thing those fish could do? Brutally ripping off her leg and drowning her in the bucket notwithstanding

Sterilizing hysteria probably costs more lives than it saves when it goes to this level of crap. I somewhat doubt everyone uses boiling water when it's easier to abuse antibacterial fluids and make the critters immune over time

Sorry to get pedantic, but there's a definite risk here. It's perfectly possible to transmit nasties from this, more so if a person has open wounds. You're basically using the same water (+ fishes) to clean everyone's feet. Any water-borne bacteria would have a field day with this. Especially when you consider that people with rough skin are probably more likely to have split skin and the like. You could probably try and do something to minimise this risk (although you would be unable to sterilise the water completely), but they didn't seem to be doing anything.

Also, boiling is just one of the ways they can sterilise tools. In all honesty, it's probably impractical anyway (the tools would be too hot and not available for immediate use, which would be important), so I'm guessing they use something else anyway. I’ve seen UV light used on tools at the barber, so perhaps that’s how they do it?

I'm guessing you're referring to antiseptic agents like alcohol, but bacteria can't really develop immunity to them, in the way that they can to antibiotics. They're just completely toxic to bacteria. If bacteria were humans, antibiotics would be like forcing somebody to do complicated genius level maths or die. Antiseptic agents are like setting the person on fire, you can't really adapt to it.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 11:42:47 am »

Well, you probably shouldn't have your feet in any kind of water with fish in it if you have an open wound or anything ANYWAY...
I don't see why a carpicure would be any different...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 01:42:30 pm »

I saw this picture, and now my toes are feeling weird and itchy

damn you >:(
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 04:50:30 pm »

When I saw this I thought it seemed like a good idea for flaking dead skin off. 

The problem is that while you can sterilize the water, you can't exactly sterilize the fish.  I mean, you could, but at the end you'd have carp soup rather than carpicure materials. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter