Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seriously, f**k pressure plates  (Read 625 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seriously, f**k pressure plates
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:44:25 am »

Alright, lemme guess, that got your attention  ;D

That thread about pumps inspired me, because honestly, pressure plates could get me into a similar nerdrage, but I really don't have the energy to get that mad.

What bugs me about pressure plates, is their delay, or rather, how this delay is able to get em stuck. And I would like to discuss if it's even possible changing it. I mean, as a little example, say you have a cistern below a well. that cistern is fed from the river and it's closed with a floodgate, which is linked to a pressure plate in the cistern. Let's say the pressure plate is set to close the floodgate once the water reaches 5 or higher.

Sooner or later the quick triggering of the plate when the water level is close to the threshhold will literally break the pressure plate and more often than not flood the whole fortress. And this pisses me off royally, because imho, controlling of water height/pressure is one of the sweetest applications of pressure plates. I could build so much cool stuff if I could rely on them.

I read somewhere these troubles I'm having stem from pressure plates being triggered in rapid succession which can get them stuck. I have not the slightest clue, but I figure the way it's coded now doesn't really allow for a better way.

I mean, I could imagine (again, no clue how its coded) we could have DF check the state of all the pressure plates you built every X cycle (initfile setting maybe?). I don't know if this would slow everything down considerably, but I'm willing to give up at least SOME performance for my complex linkage of water tanks and cisterns.

I hope I explained everything as clearly as possible, I'm not totally awake yet  ;D

(And PLEASE, dont come with the "pump em out of triggering range". If I build it that way, I dont need the plates in the first place.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:43:04 pm by Puck »