Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with the Watery Menace  (Read 1770 times)

James Sunderland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with the Watery Menace
« on: November 03, 2008, 03:11:11 pm »

ok. i have what is normally a fully-functioning fortress. i have over 100 units of alcohol, none of it forbidden or anything. i have an active well that is a designated water source. i have a moat and many murky pools. i have a river. but when it comes to drinks, all the dwarves run straight to the carp infested river and literally get torn into pieces. it is beyond infuriating. i have restricted the area. they still go and get killed. i say all dwarves go inside. they stand outside, motionless, until they get the brilliant idea to go for a swim. i'm at my wit's end. help me, bay12!!!
Until I embarked on a map with an aquifer, I had always taken rocks for granite.

GoldPanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with the Watery Menace
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 03:20:25 pm »

Try to set your well as a water source zone (i menu) and restrict drinking water to zone-only (o menu).

I'm not sure why your dwarves are avoiding the booze, though. Did you turn [alcohol dependent] off in the raws?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:32:48 pm »

Hand out crossbows to all your peasants and station them by the river, it is the only solution.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 03:48:13 pm »

Put a wall around the river.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

James Sunderland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 03:59:38 pm »

thank you goldpanda. it appears that they will seek water elsewhere, and i only lost 11 dwarves. plenty more where that came from. some dwarves desperately tried to pick up all those tantalizing pig tail socks, but i forbade them. oh, oand one peasant had no job and stood right next to the river (this is across the map, mind you). oddly enough, he survived. damn dwarves...
Until I embarked on a map with an aquifer, I had always taken rocks for granite.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 04:03:23 pm »

Were it a brook rather than a river, I'd suggest having your strongest melee fighters wade in with the best weapons you have handy to act as beaters for the marksdwarves; more hazardous, but extremely satisfying.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:06:35 pm »

Making a resticted Area does not do nothing here. It only affects Pathfinding - not where the Dwarves choose to do they stuff, just how they get there.
You can designate a Water Surce Activity Zone and set "Activity Zone Orders" (o-z) to Zone-Only, to make sure they only get they water from there.

Dwarves should prefer Well to other sources. But you can't (and need not) designate a Well as Water Source Zone (it shows 0 valid tiles). Maybe doing so prevent your Dwarves from "seeing" it.
Undesignate the Water Activity Zone from your well. Make sure it's accessible (Locked Doors ? Statues ?).

Them not drinking your booze means there is something wrong with it. (You alredy told it's not forbidden... So again - Access ?). Unless they go to fetch water for a Injured or Imprisoned comrade (they will carry a bucket and have "Give Water" job then).

Finally... Are you sure they go there to drink ?
Maybe they try to Fish ?
Or maybe your initial Wagon was around there - this will make the place a "meeting area" unless you have another one.
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 10:18:12 pm »

I've always designated my well (and the tiles around it) as a water source. I've always gotten it to work and it shows 8 water tiles.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 05:30:52 am »

Just brew beer and stop worrying about carp. :P

Real Dwarves only need beer to survive anyway.

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 05:50:00 am »

I've always designated my well (and the tiles around it) as a water source. I've always gotten it to work and it shows 8 water tiles.
That should only happen when the water is on the tile immediately below the well. If it is any deeper, the zone should show 0. My fort has two deep wells, neither of which is zoned, and they are getting used. I would check the numbers, but it is on another machine.

Actually, if you zone your well with water one z-level beneath, I'm not sure if the well gets used, or if the dorfs choose to use the water source as if they were drinking from a river/brook. Are you seeing the well's bucket being used?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 11:01:03 am »

From what I've gathered from in-game observation, if the well is only one z-level deep it's considered a murky pool and therefore no better in quality than the various ponds scattered about the place. Make it at least two z-levels deep so all the gunk can sink to the bottom and you'll be sorted.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 11:36:59 am »

The problem with the booze is that you probably do not have enough of it.
You mentioned 100 booze, and having lost 11 dwarves.

100 booze is not much.
A dwarf will grab a barrel when drinking, so the rest of the booze in it becomes temporarily unavailable.

Be a dwarf: brew more!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479