Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Macuahuitl  (Read 1727 times)

Peikko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Macuahuitl
« on: September 28, 2008, 01:52:42 am »

I got a bit bored with obsidian swords (too easy!), so I decided to remove them from the game and create something that would better represent the original "obsidian sword" Macuahuitl (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl). Second goal was to make metal weapons more desirable on obsidian maps, so the Macuahuitl should be weaker than, say, an iron short sword. I tried searching the forum to see if someone already created something like it, but a quick search didn't turn up anything. I know Macuahuitl has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any related mods.

I made the base damage quite low because if you don't get a good hit with the weapon you are not going to do "much" damage. It uses the mace skill (it's basically a baseball bat with some sharp pieces of volcanic glass attached to it). However, a critical hit will cause some serious damage (or at least some serious bleeding and pain).
It uses the gore damage type. Unlike a sword, the weapon cannot cut thorough a bodypart (except maybe a finger or a toe) because the edges are attached to the blunt pole which will stop the edges going deeper.
I haven't really had a chance to properly test it yet. What do you think?

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_MACUAHUILT]
[NAME:macuahuitl:macuahuitls]
[DAMAGE:70:GORE]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:MACE]
[CRIT_BOOST:2]
[TWO_HANDED:4]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[CAN_STONE]

Considering that the whip damage is 20 and scourge 30, do you think that 70 is still too much gore damage?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Macuahuitl
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 02:03:44 am »

How about 45 gore.

Is that a tad low?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 02:41:34 am »

Carp do 1-6 gore damage :<

70 shouldn't be too high since that does 7 when converted to regular damage. I always thought whips and scourges did low damage but GORE is pretty damn effective since big creatures do deadly amounts of it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 04:05:53 am »

This can, unfortunately, result in some copper or steel macuahuitls showing up in various spots.  Also, is the critical boost really needed?  I can't imagine the shards being long enough to easily tear up multiple organs, at least not like a spear.

As far as gore damage, couple quirks.  One, you can indeed lop off a limb with gore damage.  Two, all attacks made with this weapon will be "lashing".  This is just a message, but it can be a little bit strange to see "you lash the slugman in the left paw with your obsidian macuahuitl!  It is badly ripped!  The slugman's second finger, left paw has been torn off!". 

Alopix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:46:14 pm »

There are records from conquistadors of a macuahuitl decapitating a horse. They were rather crude in theory but very large and heavy compared to swords, with the largest comparable in size to a claymore, and obsidian's remarkable properties make it ridiculously sharp.

Maybe class it as a battleaxe, that's closer to how they operated.
Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction