Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cthulhu Mythos  (Read 7467 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Mythos
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2008, 06:22:34 am »

Well, there's Call of Cthulhu.  Every piece of evidence I've seen suggests this game owns, but no one I know has ever played it.
Shoes...

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2008, 07:32:01 am »

Anchorhead is what interested me in the Cthulhu mythos in the first place.  It's a text adventure, written in z-code so you can play it on anything more advanced than a toaster, and it definitely delivers.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2008, 12:01:19 pm »

They are some complains to it being isometric and turnbased

Bah!  I cut my teeth on isometric turn-based RPGs.  Kids these days and their newfangled real-time 3D games...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2008, 02:34:22 pm »

There is very little real horror in modern culture. It's all gore. Almost as if all the Hollywood directors and modern writers have a fetish for that.
Not gore, money.  Violence sells, it's the viewers with the gore fetish, the directors are just catering to their tastes.

Granted, but Tarantino is psychotic.  He does it for himself, not his viewers.

I've never read anything even related to Lovecraft.  Hell, for all the Stephen King books I've read, It isn't even one of them.

However, I have been highly entertained by almost everything that has been inspired by his works, most commonly the Cthulhu mythos.  Plus, it's a complicated word that I get to pester other people about spelling correctly.

I've been meaning to read one of his books for a while.  There aren't nearly enough books that deal with insanity for my tastes.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2008, 05:36:50 pm »

For games that capture the feel of Lovecraft?  Try playing through Doom 3 without ever using any weapons other than your fists and the pistol.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2008, 05:39:32 pm »

If you've got epic skillz, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth captures the Lovecraftian feel well, but if you don't, the game's head-stomping difficulty will ruin the fear.  Running down a seemingly endless hallway with a shoggoth behind you isn't as scary the fiftieth or so time.
Shoes...

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2008, 12:30:33 pm »

I played a bit of the original AitD, I love it as a game, but it doesn't quite hit my Lovecraft sensors. Does it become more Mythos like later in the game?
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2008, 12:36:53 pm »

If you've got epic skillz, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth captures the Lovecraftian feel well, but if you don't, the game's head-stomping difficulty will ruin the fear.  Running down a seemingly endless hallway with a shoggoth behind you isn't as scary the fiftieth or so time.

Epic skillz like beating some of the harder levels in Halo on legendary difficulty without dying, or boom headshot-headshot-headshot epic?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2008, 01:39:07 pm »

Epic like knowing to barricade a door with a clock you can't see unless you turn around, but you're disinclined to turn around because there are people chasing you, which is why you need to barricade the door.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3]