Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Adventure mode issue with vacationing populace  (Read 787 times)

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Adventure mode issue with vacationing populace
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:12:49 pm »

It seems that much of the populace of my starting dwarf town has gone on vacation  in the next town over...

[Edit: upon further investigation there's nothing wrong with the water in the river.  it's just the confluence of two rivers, and not being able to see the far bank in the dark, it looked wrong.]

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=577

They won't talk to me because they're not at home, but they don't seem to show any interest in going home either.  Even crazier, this isn't a dwarf town, it's a human town.  And the first time I showed up, there were no humans.  And all the buildings have holes in them.  And the river looks like it's overflowing its bank.

Here's what happened:  I got quests from the Mayor and from the Queen (Yay!  first time I've played an adventurer and they didn't just tell me they had no need for me.)  Anyway, I complete the quests, and return home, but I can't find the mayor or the Queen.  Not where they were when I got the quests.  I search the entire fortress (Suprisingly uninteresting...) nowhere.  By this time I am hungry and thirsty, so I travel and come back.  Search the entire area around the fortress.  Not there either.  Travel again, and search the fortress.  This time I am very rigorous and search the grounds as well.  Noone, and there are not very many dwarves either.

So anyway, I go learn to swim, kill some wolves etc.  Then I decide to try questing again at a human town.  That's weird, there are tons of dwarves shooting fish in the river.  Oh wait, these dwarves are all from my home town.  And the Queen's there too.

I know something similar was posted on v. 33, but It seemed that this was different, because I doubt the dwarves had been killed.  Also it seems like there are a lot of issues with this particular area (see the river and the buildings with holes) so maybe that's it.

My adventurer is saved right next to the Mayor, who is frantically chasing a horse.  The weird flow effects are just west of where I'm standing.  You can't miss the buildings, and the queen's around there somewhere.

If you fix this bug, maybe keep the idea of Holidays.  I love the idea of a bunch of drunk dwarves descending on the human town like German tourists, and having a big noisy party on the banks of the river, shooting any fish that happen to swim by.  The mayor chasing terrified livestock just completes the image.  I can just see him with his hat on crooked and stumpy legs flying...  If the nobles were easier to find the rest of the time, this wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience either.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:42:49 am by uioped1 »