Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [40d] Peasant to Legendary Champion in less than one season  (Read 2802 times)

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Peasant to Legendary Champion in less than one season
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 01:46:55 pm »

I've had similar case - 4 peasants became legendary wrestlers in 1 season (maybe 4-5 months, wasn't watching them that closely).
Fort was sealed, so that couldn't have been zombie choking case. Training them as champion hammerdwarfs took much more time (about 1 year)

edit:

Mining:
I've started fresh fort, all dwarfs had no skill. One of them was mining sand. I've kept him fresh using dwarf companion, so he was digging all the time. He reached legendary level on 3rd Hematite, so it took him exactly 1 season. He dug 1800 tiles confirming wiki information on exp/tile rate.

Side note:
Other dwarfs were just sitting on wagon socializing themselves... and they gained 11000-12000 exp points from that (4 attribute increases! ). All were ecstatic from talking with their lovers/friends, even though they were caught by snowstorm and rain, slept in dirt, had neither chairs nor tables... weird.

Wrestling without armor:
Fresh fort started, I've build 1 bed and dug small room for barracks. Dwarf Companion was used only once (healing spine wound). No armor and no weapons used.
Training started: 9th Granite
First elite wrestler: 1st Slate (19 days)
Last elite wrestler: 17th Slate (34 days)
date of becoming champion:
21st Slate (38 days)
26th Slate (43 days)
28th Slate (45 days)
2nd Felsite*3 (49 days)
9th Felsite (56 days)

Average time: 47 days

Wrestling in armor:
Fresh fort, 1 bed, small room digged. Starting points modded using Gibbed's Tweak.
Armor: steel chain mail, steel helmet, steel gauntlets, steel low boots, steel greaves.
shield: steel shield

Training started: 4th Granite

First Elite wrestler: 18th Slate (42 days)
Last Elite wrestler:4th Felsite (56 days)
date of becoming champion:
4th Felsite (56 days)
5th Felsite (57 days)
11th Felsite (63 days)
15th Felsite (67 days)
23rd Felsite (75 days)
25th Felsite*2 (77 days)

Average time: 67,5 days

Hammerdwarfs with armor:
Training started: 5th granite
first Hammer Lord: 21st Limestone (184 days)
I think it's pointless to continue training - it's obvious it takes much more time. I estimate, that training in wrestling gives ~5-7 times more xp.

BEHOLD THE POWER AND GLORY OF THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD!

Seriously, though. Nice work. I think you've just done some of Toady's bugfixing work for him - I bet he'll appreciate it.

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 03:52:05 pm »

Any reason why you cant train ledgendary wrestlers in other weapons? o.O
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »

Any reason why you cant train ledgendary wrestlers in other weapons? o.O

I believe that was fixed in 40d. Previously, dwarves would (usually, not always) train up the best skill they currently had, not the skill for the weapon they were currently assigned.

However, in the newest version, dwarves will now train up the skill for the weapon they are assigned, rather than their best skill.

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 04:23:41 pm »

kk, I'm running off of c, and all I have to do is "m+w = assigned weapon"  :d  Legendary wrestlers are my stock soldier, and I'm not suprised by it, since it in adventure mode, a wrestler usually grapples onto a nonvital and continues to gain experience from "grabbing a hold of the hoary marmots left finger, right hand."  While a weapon causes damage no matter what, a grapple can be non threatening.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 03:05:09 pm »

Definitely seems like a bug in the newer versions, since before my routine was:

Start recruits off as wrestlers with armor and shield. Once All three are at least proficient, swap over to using a weapon now that it's somewhat safe to spar with live weapons.

Now...I get champion wrestlers with novice skill in armor and shield, who aren't all that useful in actually taking out enemies.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 08:31:38 pm »

Definitely seems like a bug in the newer versions, since before my routine was:

Start recruits off as wrestlers with armor and shield. Once All three are at least proficient, swap over to using a weapon now that it's somewhat safe to spar with live weapons.

Now...I get champion wrestlers with novice skill in armor and shield, who aren't all that useful in actually taking out enemies.

Not cost effective.  Give them all obsidian swords, only the ones left standing will be tough enough to become your standing military. Those that get wounds get punted into the Guard, and those who die get a crappy grave at the top of your fortress.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 12:16:36 pm »

same issue here. 3 elite wrestlers in less than 2 seasons.
Now only 4 dwarves left over to do the real work.

They may come in handy to fend of the 150 frogmen/olmmen/troglodites aligators etc lunking in the underground river though.
or the antmen/caveswallows from the bottomless pit.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 02:22:57 pm »

I'm thinking it's counting locking moves now as well or something towards wrestling skill. You don't hurt someone by grabbing their upper arm with your lower arm (example), but if the dwarves keep doing it over and over while sparring, it could cause these giant skill increases.
Pages: 1 [2]