Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ah crap...HELP ASAP!  (Read 961 times)

DemonHunterSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ah crap...HELP ASAP!
« on: September 27, 2008, 04:10:28 am »

Alright first attempt at modding, got me a tile set and also creature set I wanted. Tile works just fine but it was the creature set I yanked from Sphr's page on the wiki. I followed the directions to a T but when I changed the stuff in the init.txt file and loaded up the game it yeah...stayed black so I couldn't see the options or anything, lucky I remember the quit key. Please help me asap I can't remember the original file name to just put it back to normal...and I kinda also overwrited the example dwarves.bmp with the new one o.o

DemonHunterSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ah crap...HELP ASAP!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 11:34:19 am »

Well that ended in total failure..just ended up junking the file and restarting the extract from my zip file. Now, were back to square one I have a few graphical mods out there and I am curious how can I enable them so my screen wont black out and make it in able to see what I am doing. Please help me I am a total newb at modding XD

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 12:41:54 pm »

Some sets are pre-packaged like, Mike Mayday's set http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

DemonHunterSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 01:38:57 pm »

I know, but no offense (asides from the dwarfs making me laugh cause thats how they should look) I didn't like the pack at all. I was looking through at Sphr's work as well as SL's for his tile set. As he had a link to a graphic pack on this very form but all it is is screenshots so really all of this just boggles me down because I would love to mix and match adding more graphics, so for instance there is a animal one on the wiki, have that mixed with perhaps Sphr's goblins, humans, dwarves, etc. and have it all work you know? Is that possible or can you only use one?

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 03:04:33 pm »

You can use multiple sets. I'm using a couple together right now.

DemonHunterSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 06:08:36 pm »

How? Just put them all into one .txt file? As I said would be really nice to have it more user firendly as I normally don't mod stuff I let friends who know how do it for me. And sorry, don't like being crash test mike.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 06:43:06 pm »

don't like being crash test mike.
Userfriendliness and an (for all intents and purposes) alpha game are the complete opposites of each other.
Learning to mod DF is one of the easiest things you can do, and one of the most vital.
Being "Crash Test Mike" is part of downloading the game.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

DemonHunterSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:14:33 pm »

That may be but I would like to be a crash test mike without needing to delete the game then download it again every time because the screen is bad thanks to fooling with the init file. If I knew HOW to put the sets in I could start up so much else but I have looked to the wiki and it only shows how to make them really not to much detail on making them work.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 12:27:40 pm »

I always keep the zip file for whatever version of DF I'm playing currently.  After all, it's only 5 MB.  Then, when the Dwarves blow up the program, I just unzip a new copy.  As for your save files, they're stored in a totally different file, so you can retrieve them unharmed, most of the time.

Yeah, I've had problems with graphics as well.  You're probably like me, and using a standard-screen computer instead of a widescreen one.  You can get them to work, but it takes some playing around.  I know you need to enable blackspace in the int file, and change the dimentions to match your computer (default fullscreen setting, 800 x 600 I think), but I'm not certain exactly what I did.  Hope you get the graphics to work, adds a whole new dimention to the game.

DemonHunterSK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 12:38:20 pm »

Well right now I am using Mike May's characters and I believe it was SL or redjack tiles...possibly mikes as well. as for combining so I can have more animals, creatures, etc would be fantastic I love Sphr's work and want to put that into my game but don't know how to work the text file to have multiple...and my monitor is a 20in old school (you know not LCD?) I call it the bahemoth cause it feels like it weights at least 50lbs.