Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legerdemain  (Read 2634 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legerdemain
« on: September 19, 2008, 01:08:23 pm »

So I bought the Legerdemain Cluebook from Roguelikefiction.com and I have to say that it is friggin awesome.

The book is over 300 pages long and reads like a novel.  Basically, the book reads from a first-person perspective, as the main character of the game.  The character writes about every quest in the game in journal format as he encounters plot-devices.

The writing is fantastic.  This Nathan Jerpe guy is a great writer.  His writing reminds me a little bit of Shakespeare mixed with a quirky style.  I'm blown away by the imagery he uses in describing things.

So as the character moves through the quest, you pick out clues about hidden treasure and side-quests.  To give you an idea how big Legerdemain is, I have played for about 4 hours and that coordinates with about page 6 in the book!

It really reminds me of the old-school computer games that came with a thick back-story.  It really makes the game much, much richer and more interesting when it is described this way.

It also comes with a nice over-world map, Nathan's laminated business card and the game itself on a CD.  If you have been thinking about buying it, I think it is well worth the $20.00 (besides the fact that it promotes indie-gaming in general).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Legerdemain
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 04:04:33 pm »

The original Myst game had a strategy guide like that.  Of course, if you're using a Strategy Guide for Myst, you're doing it wrong.  That's like buying a walkthrough for a Sudoku game.
Shoes...

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:31:47 pm »

It's nice because it's not like a traditional player's guide.  The character in the story will mention something in passing like, "I was hungry and found some food in Jim's store-room, hidden under a crate."  It still takes some thinking.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:12:07 pm »

The original Myst game had a strategy guide like that.  Of course, if you're using a Strategy Guide for Myst, you're doing it wrong.  That's like buying a walkthrough for a Sudoku game.

Myst actually has a prequel book called Myst (who would have guessed). It doesn't directly address the game, but it gives you a back story on the characters and the worlds while actually being a very good book. This has the nice effect of making the game much more exciting and fleshed out.

I would suggest it as a good read even if you aren't into the Myst series of video games.