Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Wooden swords?  (Read 781 times)

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
Making Wooden swords?
« on: September 17, 2008, 07:37:25 pm »

I figure, if the elves can do it...why can't my dwarves?
What do I need to mod in order to enable this? If you can, please tell me in simple terms...I'm not that amazing at this whole modding thing.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Wooden swords?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:59:25 pm »

As far as I've ever been able to find out, the only one to make wooden weapons yourself is by setting up a reaction where in you consume a piece of wood as a regent and create a wooden weapon as a product.

Of course, this ends up needing to be done at a smelter. There is no way, as of yet, to make them somewhere more sensible like a carpenter or craftsman's workshop. Unless someone else has found a way recently, in which case I'd be interested in finding out as well. Wooden weapons are great for practice.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 08:10:32 pm »

Thanks to another thread I found another way of doing this that doesn't require a smelter reaction or generating a new world.  The trick is that ranged weapons can be made of wood (or bone).

Add the line [RANGED:BLOWGUN:BLOWDART] to the raw entry for short swords, save the txt file, restart DF.  You'll be able to make wooden swords at a bowyer's shop using the crossbow-making skill.  Once you've got enough wooden swords, you'll probably want to remove that line from the raws, as it will probably cause dwarves to try to use the swords as projectile launchers.  The wooden swords will remain in your game, though, and they'll be able to use them normally.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:17:03 pm »

Thanks to another thread I found another way of doing this that doesn't require a smelter reaction or generating a new world.  The trick is that ranged weapons can be made of wood (or bone).

Add the line [RANGED:BLOWGUN:BLOWDART] to the raw entry for short swords, save the txt file, restart DF.  You'll be able to make wooden swords at a bowyer's shop using the crossbow-making skill.  Once you've got enough wooden swords, you'll probably want to remove that line from the raws, as it will probably cause dwarves to try to use the swords as projectile launchers.  The wooden swords will remain in your game, though, and they'll be able to use them normally.
Sweet, thanks!
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.