Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What does ADVENTURE_TIER do exactly? Does anyone know?  (Read 1161 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
What does ADVENTURE_TIER do exactly? Does anyone know?
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:46:19 am »

When making my Rome Fortress mod I basically copy and pasted several of the modified entities (the civs; dwarves humans elves goblins kobolds), tinkered with them, then tested it. But I forgot to change [ADVENTURE_TIER:1] so they all had this same tag (rather than 1, 2, 3, etc as people say to do), and I could play it fine in adventurer mode as any of the civs even with them all set to 1. Does anyone know exactly what the tag does or is for? Obviously just having it means you can play as that civ in adventurer mode (since gobbos and kobolds don't have the tag), but what does the number represent? I read that it determines the order that the civs appear in when you go to play adventurer mode, but having them all as 1 seemed to work perfectly fine for me.

Has Toady ever explained it?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: What does ADVENTURE_TIER do exactly? Does anyone know?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:54:37 am »

[ADVENTURE_TIER:?] allows you to set a civilization as playable in adventure mode. The number can go from 1 to 46 I think. Having all of the civilizations set to the same number will work fine most of the time, but it has been known to cause some strange bugs in the past.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 03:13:40 am »

That's all? Bah. Thought it did something more interesting. Thanks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:23:48 am »

The number will just determine where they show up on the list.  The higher the number, the higher up on the list.

It can be nice if you want to organize your races for adventure mode.  Just adds an extra touch.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 02:32:13 pm »

As has been said, adventure_tier is the order that civs appear in the list of playable 'races' in adventure mode.  The wiki mentions something about having them in order or something, but I'm pretty certain there is no real terrible problem with going out of order.