Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Playing as a Kobold civilization?  (Read 3979 times)

ArdentPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as a Kobold civilization?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 10:16:27 pm »

My friend and I just did this - there's a few things you have to add beyond [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]. [INTELLIGENT] lets you assign jobs; you also have to add all of the relevant professions you'll need (we just copied them all over from Dwarfs but you could leave out ones you felt weren't appropriately kobold-y).

We also found a bug with miners - since kobolds are small, they use both hands to hold pickaxes, which leads to a bizarre bug for miners who aren't mining that second. They'll drop their pick (I think because they want to keep one hand open), then pick it back up since miners always want to have picks, then drop it, then pick it up, and just loop until you designate something for mining or turn off the profession. We just fixed it by upping the size to the size of dwarfs. Not very kobold-y, but the rest of the stats stay the same.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:12:45 am »

My friend and I just did this - there's a few things you have to add beyond [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]. [INTELLIGENT] lets you assign jobs; you also have to add all of the relevant professions you'll need (we just copied them all over from Dwarfs but you could leave out ones you felt weren't appropriately kobold-y).

We also found a bug with miners - since kobolds are small, they use both hands to hold pickaxes, which leads to a bizarre bug for miners who aren't mining that second. They'll drop their pick (I think because they want to keep one hand open), then pick it back up since miners always want to have picks, then drop it, then pick it up, and just loop until you designate something for mining or turn off the profession. We just fixed it by upping the size to the size of dwarfs. Not very kobold-y, but the rest of the stats stay the same.

You *might* be able to fix that without changing the size by telling miners to carry two weapons instead of one.  Apparently that does something helpful for two-handed weapons.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 09:15:44 am »

you could always make a mini-pickaxe and set the minimum size to 3
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 01:07:21 pm »

I don't think that size is actually the problem, as the same thing happens with humans and axes.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 03:07:33 pm »

Do the 2 weapons thing. It works.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 06:44:36 pm »

and here i was thinking that you cannot set the 2-weapon option for 'unarmed'.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »

and here i was thinking that you cannot set the 2-weapon option for 'unarmed'.
It actually is possible, I did it the other day.
If, for whatever reason, you can't do it then you can always press 's' set them to some random weapon then give them two weapons and set it back to unarmed.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »

Yeah, the 2-weapon trick works for axes, but not picks since those count as unarmed.

Best you can do is the suggestion to mod in small picks.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2]