Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making goblins survive world-gen  (Read 1847 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Making goblins survive world-gen
« on: September 22, 2008, 09:37:49 am »

What tags do I need too give them for this too happen. (I wanna make them strong enough too survive war.)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making goblins survive world-gen
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:51:50 pm »

Increasing their SIZE and DAMBLOCK seem to be the most direct ways, although increasing their numbers is also an option: investigate the number of starting civs, and the initial population per civ.

jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:59:50 am »

There should be a flag in the world generation system that forces a race to be immortal if its in danger of extinction, or its levels fall and remain below some percentage, for the duration of the world generation... This would help in creating the kind of worlds we want. Same thing with regions... Wish I could contribute to this game instead of whining on the forums here.....

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:01:00 am »

It would probably be better to add a GENOCIDE ethic.  If the civ finds it acceptable, they'll gladly destroy every last man, woman, and child of whichever civ they're fighting.  If they find genocide unthinkable, then they'll instead whittle their enemy down to one or two sites and contain them.

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:25:38 am »

Theres probably a strong reason the goblins never survive, such as their such a weak race that they would be killed of AFTER world-generation anyway.
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:41:29 am »

Thanks for the replies but I want to make strong enough to win wars/survive against other civs and still remain hostile to my civ after world-gen.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:23:03 am »

Remove litters_rare and increase their # at the start of generation to make there be too many for them all to die.  Also, try starting the game earlier so there hasn't been a chance to wipe them out yet.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:23:10 am »

Theres probably a strong reason the goblins never survive, such as their such a weak race that they would be killed of AFTER world-generation anyway.

Weak in what way?

Humans are (supposed to be, as I understand it) a fractured civ made up of independent city-states.  However, they also spread damn near everywhere.

Elves cripple themselves by deliberately using inferior materials.  They are also frailer than humans.  Yet they have exclusive access to Good regions among the civilized races, giving them a safe-haven within which they reproduce in vast numbers, leading to the zerg rush phenomenon.

Dwarves, as we clearly see in Fortress mode, frequently struggle to keep peace within their own communities.  Even if this is not unique to dwarves, they are still smaller than either humans or elves and thus weaker in combat, despite their stocky build.  A major strength to dwarven civs is their access to superior metals (e.g. steel).

Goblins are as small as dwarves yet not as stout, but they have exclusive access to Evil regions.  Ethically, they are much more compatible with dwarves and men than with elves, so while elves tend to fight everyone the goblins are often at peace with their neighbors.  If you aren't fighting, it doesn't matter how well you fight.

Each race has its strengths and weaknesses, and will continue to distinguish themselves as Toady develops the game.  The lack of unity among humans, for instance, should have a much greater effect on world gen and gameplay as time goes on.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 01:09:24 pm »

It would probably be better to add a GENOCIDE ethic.  If the civ finds it acceptable, they'll gladly destroy every last man, woman, and child of whichever civ they're fighting.  If they find genocide unthinkable, then they'll instead whittle their enemy down to one or two sites and contain them.

Good thought. We should make a suggestion for that. I'd like to have more ideals minded civ NOT wipe out their enemies. Having them try to contain them, or simply banish them from their lands would be interesting ethics options to add in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 09:31:48 pm »

For the elves?
Well, Human should also try to make empires. Like the Akkadia (the nation states is from Mesopotamia right?)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 07:26:20 am »

Not exclusively - nation state civilization has been extremely common in human history - it could represent early German history just as easily.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 10:34:19 am »

Oh well, but empire ALWAYS comes after that, right? So a civ could be an empire, while everything else is nation-cities that is ruled by templars (those who are from temples)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 10:48:43 am »

Dwarves, as we clearly see in Fortress mode, frequently struggle to keep peace within their own communities.  Even if this is not unique to dwarves, they are still smaller than either humans or elves and thus weaker in combat, despite their stocky build.  A major strength to dwarven civs is their access to superior metals (e.g. steel).

Only fortress mode dwarves have trouble keeping peace in their communities. Fortress mode is the exception, not the rule. Also, dwarves are not weaker in combat than humans or elves. Battle trances, which are unique to dwarves, more than make up for their size. A weakness for the dwarves and goblins is that they're limited to mountains.

Also elves and goblins have the advantage of immortality which allows certain individuals to become nigh unstoppable in combat (like that Stozu guy that someone posted about a while ago). Goblins have the advantage of babysnatching to bolster their numbers with other races, which also brings their personal advantages.

Elves have the advantage of being at peace with nature, which allows their adventurers in worldgen to focus on killing (semi)megabeasts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 10:51:14 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 05:35:31 pm »

Battle trances, which are unique to dwarves, more than make up for their size.

I didn't even think about that.  Trances only work when outnumbered AFAIK, but still a good call.

A weakness for the dwarves and goblins is that they're limited to mountains.

I can't believe I neglected that tidbit.  While they're not entirely limited to mountains (with the exception of their initial site), their allowable biome list is pretty restrictive.

Also elves and goblins have the advantage of immortality

Didn't think of this either.

babysnatching

Eh.  Slightly.  It doesn't really boost their numbers so much as alter the racial makeup of their population.

Elves have the advantage of being at peace with nature, which allows their adventurers in worldgen to focus on killing (semi)megabeasts.

While this can be valuable in some regions, it probably wouldn't have much effect since the more dangerous creatures are either unnatural or savage (and there are no civs yet that can settle in savage territory).

The megabeast thing?  The fewer critters you have to send adventurers against, the fewer notable adventurers you're likely to have.  And the ones you do have will probably be less experienced since they won't have random encounters to grind on.  :P