Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Required support math equation  (Read 712 times)

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Required support math equation
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:54:26 pm »

So I'm trying to figure out a good system to calculate how much space is used if I have a support grid of 1 pillar every 6 squares in any direction (the minimum in other words)

I know it wouldn't be perfect since I'm assuming the dimensions of the room in question is perfectly layed out, but would total area/49 = x, total area -x = correct area, make sense? Thanks.

total area/49 = x
total area -x = real area
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Required support math equation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »

Unless you're doing it for purely aesthetic reasons, which I would assume you're not seeing as how you're trying to devise an equation for total space lost to pillars... just don't use them at all. In the current version nothing will cave in if it is connected in any way to any other tile contiguous with a stable structure. Meaning you could theoretically mine out a 100x100 portion of terrain and hold it all up with a single pillar since the pillar is built on a stable tile below it.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:04:35 pm »

Not theory, it works. You don't even need pillars, one square of built floor will support an undermined mountain.

You can even turn collapses off and have a floating UFO fortress.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

bartavelle

• Bay Watcher
  • Coin coin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:13:46 pm »

If it is a rectangular area, you will require ceil(xsize/6) squares on the x axis, and ceil(ysize/6) for the y axis. You will waste ceil(xsize/6)*ceil(ysize/6). This seem obvious so I might have missed the point of your question ...