Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your Dwarf Fortress Rig  (Read 7719 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Your Dwarf Fortress Rig
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 06:38:40 pm »

By the way how much if DF effected by RAM? I had only 1GB of RAM until 3 days ago but when I upgraded I didn't notice much of a change.

Well not much....CPU is what matters at the moment in DF.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 07:54:06 pm »

RAM should make the game load/save/start faster, but as for actual FPS increase, it's not going to make a huge difference.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 09:23:47 pm »

After taking a look around my computer, I found something - under processors, in the device manager, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz is listed twice, so I guess this means that I have two of those...or something....I dunno :-\
Hyperthreading? The secondhand desktop I just bought lists two processors, but it's a single core. I've been meaning to turn HT off as its 2.8GHz P4 seems slower than my 1.6GHz Celeron M at times.

On to the specs:
CPU: 2.8GHz P4 (as I already stated)
RAM: 512MB (2x256, neither are from the same manufacturer and are of different clock rates)
GPU: VisionTek Radeon HD 2400 Pro (512 MB)
  (+ Intel Extreme 2 (64 MB) if I ever want to use it...)
HDD: 226GB internal spread over two drives, ~320 external, around 50% utilization
500W power supply
Case: He he he... case... It started out in a low-profile case I couldn't do squat with, so I ripped the guts out of a larger, ancient case and shoved these into it. Everything wouldn't fit, so the case is now on its side with the top off, with the drive caddy from the old case and the PSU hanging out of one of the openings.

Total price: Old case (+ monitor & keyboard) was free. PC with tiny monitor was $125. Radeon was ~$90. PSU was ~$25.
Total ~$240

A note on the GPU: I stuck it in my computer then couldn't figure out why my system would hang after less than a minute of use. Turns out the stock 110W PSU isn't enough to power it.

The monitor and keyboard are now sitting under my bed, in favor of the ginormous HP M70 behemoth and the keyboard that came with my previous PC.
I'd take a pic of this monstrosity if I had my camera, but it's not with me at the moment (the camera, that is).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:25:32 pm by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 2 [3]