Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armageddon Empires  (Read 1280 times)

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armageddon Empires
« on: September 25, 2008, 03:56:41 pm »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has played Armageddon Empires?
It's an indie turn-based strategy with a collectible card game elements set in a post-apocalyptic world. No worries, you don't buy any cards, you just assemble a deck of units, heroes, facilities etc., then play against AI on a hex map.
The setting borrows charmingly and shamelessly from countless sci-fi films, books and games (Rad zombies? Hmm... what does it remind me of?), the combat rules and AI are pretty decent, and the art is very good for an indie game.
There's a demo, too.
http://www.crypticcomet.com/games/AE/armageddon_empires.html
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Armageddon Empires
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 04:00:32 pm »

Yes of course, I have bought it some time ago. Very good little game indeed, the problem is that the AI is quite horrible.  :-\

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:05:32 pm »

Nah, it just doesn't cheat by default.
Give it some resource bonus and a possibility to use a more powerful deck than yours and the odds even out somewhat.
Not to mention Cults of Wasteland, these can be a pain even to an experienced player.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:38:52 pm »

I tried the demo a while back when it got a bump from Tycho over at Penny Arcade.  It's not at all a bad game, but I wasn't ever a fan of hex-based games to begin with.  The $30 price tag seemed a little steep to me, as well, so I've left it alone since.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."