Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Achievements  (Read 4089 times)

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2008, 01:00:20 am »

Achievments just don't fit the spirit of DF. Why? I think because DF is a non-linear world. Noeone can concisely agree on what an achievement is. We all kind of set our own goals and confront distinct challenges. Each world presents us with a different array of circumstances.

Let me try to explain why it's difficult to say that reaching 100 people in your fortress is an acheivment. It's difficult because each instance will be different. My fortress might have had more immigrants and I might have had better luck. So I might have also reached 100 people before anyone else has, but what are the odds? If each world in DF was the same and we all started in the same place with the same resources, it would be much easier to say that reaching 100 people is an acheivement.

This is why I feel it's bad to make DF into an acheivemnt-based gameworld. Let the players decide what is an accomplishment, and don't hold their hand too much. Sooner or later they'll grow independently and determine for themselves what is a goal and what is not. Don't make them dependent on unchanging parameters.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2008, 09:16:17 pm »

how about an ingame event tracker? not something that records accomplishments/happenings once, but that records anything of note, including the size of grandoise towers,

the discovery of every part of HFS, magma, chasms and certain water sources first arrival of nobles, notable deaths, creation of artifacts, first creation of masterwork steel, or adamantine platemail,
100 and 200 dwarf deaths, are all worthy of holding the date they were reached, and a note in a "SEperatE"
log

don't give a set of more than basic "unachieved" or the player will feel extra pressure to take the standard route

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2008, 09:47:40 pm »

the discovery of every part of HFS, magma, chasms and certain water sources first arrival of nobles, notable deaths, creation of artifacts, first creation of masterwork steel, or adamantine platemail,
100 and 200 dwarf deaths, are all worthy of holding the date they were reached, and a note in a "SEperatE" log

Uh....what the heck do you think the HISTORY FILES DO?!?

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 09:58:52 am »

Uh....what the heck do you think the HISTORY FILES DO?!?

Precisely!  The history files are perfect for noting down various achievements.  It would, however, be nice to see the history file for a site on abandon, preferably in a slightly easier to read format with several footnotes.  Useful footnotes would include:  Average Dwarf Lifespan(in both steps and Days/months/Years), longest time between dwarf deaths, shortest time between dwarf deaths(with multiple simultaneous deaths noted), Total kills(imagine that list for Nist Akath), Value and size of any towers built, and wealth taken with the fleeing dwarves.  Listing of things like "Most Experienced Miner" or "Most Prolific Craftsman" would also be interesting.

Earlier, the OP mentioned that one thing to compare this to is the Tombstone from Rogue-like games.  Typically, they list cause of death, character stats at death, kills, and any notable achievements(like, say winning).  The Aforementioned footnotes would not even need to wait until site abandon to be listed.  There could instead be an Init option to show them, similar to showing complete histories in Dwarfmode. 
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]