Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dragon antics  (Read 3127 times)

glitchopo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dragon antics
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:06:10 am »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to DF so I shat myself when I had my first dragon show to lay waste to all my hard work. I have a couple of moats around the fortress but I was in heavy "storage mode" so a lot of the dwarves were outside and the outer bridges were down.

Needless to say the dragon showed up breathing fire all over the place, interesting through large stockpiles of goods which were left unharmed although the ground was severely scorched! There are only two underground areas in this part of the frotress, a small graveyard and my magma furnaces/workshops. He torched one dwarf on his way down a few z levels to the magma workshop room. There he destroyed all the workshops and furnaces. He then decided to wander downstairs into the live magma level where he was burned into dragon dust. Actually he just kinda disappeared - not even a whimper, just gone.  ;D

I just have to say that was very cool and very fun and I had to tell someone who might think it was cool too (I know I was damn lucky too).

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: dragon antics
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:30:17 am »

That's pretty awesome, although it stinks that you at least didn't get dragon bones/skin/skull out of the deal.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:30:18 am »

You should try fighting one in Adventure mode: 1 step at a time means the firey breath comes out in an avoidable dodge.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 08:47:31 am »

Though you'll still end up dead as you like.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 09:27:41 am »

ACTually, I got a reel inressin' story 'bout that:

See, there was this one time I managed to hire a crossbowman from a dwarven settlement, and we proceeded to hunt down this dragon what we heard was living in a desert.  So I sneaks up to it while the crossbow fulla starts shootin'.  Needless to say this pissed off the Dragon something fierce and it let loose with a gout of fire towards my buddy...who was behind me at the time.  It's the desert, so there's practically no cover to be had, so I get up from my crouch and starts ta run.   The flames are, literally, burning cactus all around me, and at one point I was over-taken to my left and right by the fire, but being outside, it mostly just scorched all around us and the air pretty bad.  The Dragon seems out of fire at this point, so I just start to run, drawing it away from my buddy as he fires bolt after bolt off it's ridged hide.  We'd a both died out there for sure if it wasn't for a lucky shot through the eyes that didn't quite, but damn near instantly killed it.
Good times.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:16:16 am »

I have had 2 dragons show up at my fortess now.  The first one was a walking disaster that was missing an eye and fell over every 20 steps.  It wandered into my traps and was sumarrily sliced up.  I still don't know where the remains went.   :(

The second just walked into a cage trap(that I had put there to capture the beak dogs of goblins) and is now a trained and almost productive member of my fortess.  I think I will loose the HFS below me and let the dragon fight whatever comes out.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 05:43:25 am »

That reminds me of one of my dragons in the last fortress.

He obviously was missing 2 of his legs, leading to him moving with the speed of a snail and getting unconscious with every few steps. It took eternities till he was at the walls of my fortress ;D
(I didnīt even bother to order my dwarves inside as he approached the fortress from behind (i.e. opposite to the side with the main entrance) and seemed so harmless that not even my dwarves wiuld have problems to avoid him ;D )

During the long time he needed to approach the fortress suddenly a human siege team appeared. It was funny to watch them staying away from my fortress. Obviously they had too much respect for the dragon and thought they couold just wait and, after the dragon attack, could finish the parts that the dragon left over.
Only after my marksdwarves killed the dragon from the top of the castle walls, the humans would begin their attack ;D 

Lostereadamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:14:17 pm »

I have had 2 dragons show up at my fortess now.  The first one was a walking disaster that was missing an eye and fell over every 20 steps.  It wandered into my traps and was sumarrily sliced up.  I still don't know where the remains went.   :(

Ha ah oh wow. You should have captured him and used em as a mascot
[Their shields are thick, their swords are sharp, and they are clad in the bones and skins of those who dared to stand against Depthhall. This beast's hide will clothe an army, it's meat will feed generations. This time the beast does not win. The dwarves will have their fortress. Losing is fun, motherfucker.]

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 08:42:29 pm »

I have had 2 dragons show up at my fortess now.  The first one was a walking disaster that was missing an eye and fell over every 20 steps.  It wandered into my traps and was sumarrily sliced up.  I still don't know where the remains went.   :(

Ha ah oh wow. You should have captured him and used em as a mascot

Unfortunately, he had already killed a dwarf by the time he even got close, and I hadn't put cage traps out that far yet.  I later devised a perfect "Megabeast trap" after a third dragon came and got beaten up by my legendary shield user(who got a name out of it).  I had to give that fort up after the HFS got out with me having 10 FPS.  Doom Spirals are no fun when they take forever to happen.

I did capture the second dragon, and tamed him.  After I abandoned, I found the refugees, and the dragon toasted a kid.  It was most amusing.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 02:49:53 pm »

First time I saw a dragon, it tried to firebreathe a kitten, missed, and got shot by a merchant marksdwarf.

Talk about disappointment.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 03:58:46 pm »

I thought my first dragon being killed by 3 stone traps was lame....

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 08:41:18 pm »

my dragon was quickly defeated by marksdwarves and a very large army of skilled wrestlers
no dwarf casualties, but he did slag two jet  block roads, and killed three guard dogs(all with breath)