Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Request: smelter reaction for clear glass blocks  (Read 919 times)

caas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Request: smelter reaction for clear glass blocks
« on: September 14, 2008, 09:43:19 am »

Hello all ,

I would ask for a smelter reaction for clear glass blocks. I really like building rooms for recreation who are roofed by glass. That way my dwarf's don't get that sun sickness, and water inside doesn't freeze up, cause it is inside.

But to make a decent sized roof , I have to go thru all the hassle just to make clear glass blocks , and then the horrible construction process.

So hopefully someone can help me out, with a smelter reaction.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Request: smelter reaction for clear glass blocks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 11:45:06 am »

1. A glass block roof is exactly the same as a stone roof. The only difference is aesthetics.

2. Water above the ground, but below a construction will still freeze in the winter. It MUST be underneath natural ground to avoid freezing.

A simple solution is to have your rec room underneath the floors, but make your rec room slightly longer or wider then the floors above, and put your water source underneath the natural ground off to the side. A side view of the general idea:

Code: [Select]
= - natural floor
- - built floor
# - wall of some kind
~ - water source

====--------====
##          ####
##~#############

Should work. If the water still freezes in winter, try seperating the water source from the rec room with a door.

That aside, try this reaction. I haven't tested it yet, mind you, but I will shortly. I just tested it, it indeed works. Keep in mind that you will have to gen a new world for it to take effect.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:FREE_GLASS_BLOCKS]
[NAME:I want free glass blocks]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:10:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:NO_MATGLOSS]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 11:55:27 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

caas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 12:00:37 pm »

Yay , thx a lot , it indeed works!  :D

For the other suggestion , I always build a glass floor (roof actually) on the outside , and underneath that I make a rec room with water and a well, and I never had it freeze over in winter?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 12:03:42 pm »

Not every biome freezes in the winter. You have to be in a temperate, cold, or freezing biome.

Of course, if you're absolutely sure you were in a cold-ish biome the times your well didn't freeze over, it's entirely possible that I could have just been wrong.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.