Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeking Help: Glass Mechanisms  (Read 1941 times)

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeking Help: Glass Mechanisms
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »

Well, I've been trying for the last few days to find some sort of reaction [which everyone alludes to the existence of, but for some reason, I cannot seem to locate] for creating glass mechanisms.  I'd like it to be at least sort of balanced - not a "put in nothing, get out 10 magma proof mechanisms", at least requiring a bit of work.  Was pondering Clear Glass Blocks, thus requiring sand and pearlash [and that production chain].  Just tried and this didn't seem to work out, though:

[REACTION:CGLASS_MECHANISM]
[NAME:make clear glass mechanism]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:NONE]
[FUEL]

Any tips on what could be wrong?  Newly embarked, made myself a clear glass block, attempted to create a clear glass mechanism in the smelter, but didn't get the option.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Help: Glass Mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:44:59 am »

[REACTION:CGLASS_MECHANISM]
[NAME:make clear glass mechanisms]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:NO_SUBTYPE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:TRAPPARTS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_CLEAR:NO_SUBTYPE]
[FUEL]

I can't think of any reason why the above wouldn't work. I avoid using NONE as the matgloss subtype. It has caused me more than one non-working reaction, whereas NO_SUBTYPE never causes such problems.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:03:48 pm »

Wait, glass isn't magma proof...
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:29:27 am »

Peace, Neoskel. He'll figure that out soon enough. ^___^
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:08:45 am »

Ah, damn.  Shoulda been clued in - for some reason, was under the impression glass was magma-resistant.  Feh, guess it's iron mechanisms, then.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 12:01:36 am »

Iron?  I thought steel was what was magma proof.  That and bauxite... You really could just trade for a bunch of bauxite...

Though if you want green glass mechanisms, one thing I did was the following:
[NAME:make clear glass marbles]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:BLOCKS:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:GLASS_GREEN:NO_MATGLOSS]
[FUEL]

This produces 1 unit of stone.  Now I can hear 95% of you saying what the bloody heck would I want MORE stone for... Catapults.  LOTS and LOTS of catapults and practice.  Also, this makes it usable for mechanisms.  Another option would be to make a stone in the stone raws, call it green glass, and refer to that in the reaction.  It's not true green glass, but it is called green glass and colored as you see fit.  And if you want it to be magma proof, this stone could have it's melt point tailored to be as high as basalt, if you wanted to.

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:24:23 am »

This will give you a stone of glass, but that stone won't be usable for stone jobs because it isn't a stone stone.
The glass mechanism reactions above aren't working because there is no NONE object of the GLASS_CLEAR class. You need NO_MATGLOSS when telling the game there are no subtypes of your material, not NO_SUBTYPE.
Even that won't give you item quality though. You'll have base quality mechanisms. To get masterpiece glass mechanisms you'll need to make some kind of glass man. Or splice their DNA onto your dogs and arrange for one to die. Slaughtered animals don't give itemcorpses.