Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rate the fort above you. (Map archive)  (Read 2126 times)

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the fort above you. (Map archive)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 08:56:31 pm »

I think this is a great idea for a thread. We should do this more often!

Skywater:

Aesthetics: 8/10. I like that you're building around that beautiful waterfall, and obviously you're making bridges a plenty. It's simple, but I approve.

Functionality: 9/10. It's surely as functional as possible. You have a mostly vertical design, which is good. I wonder if traffic gets heavy around that central 4-tile square staircase, though.

Defense: 6/10. You have a few chained dogs and a few traps at the main gates, but I don't see much else going on here... Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Okay, someone rate my own miserable failure at year 3: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3574-raincrystal. The main reason it's a failure is that it's doomed to RIDICULOUS lag.
火族

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 09:57:03 pm »

The closest anything got to inside the fort was the row of tiles directly below the entrance bridge stone-fall traps.   Also, might help if I explain the first line of defense - when that bridge goes up and the floodgates open, that entryway is flooded with enough water to prevent -anything- from getting even close to the bridge - trolls?  They've got no hope.  At all.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look all too cool in 3Dwarf :<

Anyways, rating!

Aesthetics: 8/10 Very nice, looks believable, too.  It would have needed to be more than just a stump for full marks though :/

Defense: 7/10 I couldn't see a military, but from the looks of the bridges and weapon traps, it's relatively secure.

Efficiency: 8/10 wouldn't be too high, being spread through the roots like that, but it's not designed for that, really, so bonus points to even this score out.

Style: 10/10, because it's original, believable, AND pulled off.\

Overall, 8 1/3/10.

Darn though, I had hoped for a little more c&c on Cavepacks :P
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 11:05:30 pm »

Can someone please explain the process of uploading a map?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 11:14:35 pm »

yeah, sure thing.  After you've registered at that site, you log in, then near the top of the sidebar is an upload button.  Go there, and after makign a .fdf-map file (that site has instructions), select that to upload, add a description, and submit.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 11:44:55 pm »

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:54:51 pm »

Very nice overall planning and structure. 

Aesthetics:  7/10  Not much for eye candy but that is not really a bad thing for a dwarf fortress with only 4 1/2 years in.  The tower and moat are well done.

Defense:  8/10  Moat and wall make the fortress pretty much impregnable but there is a hill on the north side where archers could rain arrows over your wall.  Putting the lever right next to the bridge may bring you trouble later.  If an ambush shows up you wont have time to rush someone out to close the bridge.  May be better to put it in the central part of your fortress underground.  No traps +++.  That I like to see.

Efficiency: 8/10  Looks pretty solid.  Vertical structure helps cut down on walking around.

Style:  6/10  At 4 1/2 years not much time to worry about style.  I like your room layouts and shop arrangement already though. 

Good work in such short time.  Any long term plans from here on out?

Here is the Goldparch port.  Went with a strong theme of a dwarven seaport with docks, lighthouse etc...
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2913-goldparch
Eager to hear your thoughts on it.

Sareth

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the lever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 02:27:17 pm »

I don't have a new fort to submit, but I like that fort. Resembles what mine will look like in a few years.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 12:43:27 am »

Thanks for the comments on my fort! Yeah, it's just a stump for now; making the entire exterior out of wood takes a lot more time than I thought it would. I also wasn't thinking of practicality too much, which of course is going to kick me in the ass eventually. Anyway, I loved Goldparch. I'm not sure how to score it, because there's some things in there that are raising question marks in my mind, like the pillars underwater (how did you do that? modded water breathing?) The boats are all beautiful though--I'd love it if we could one day get those babies to move. It was a nice surprise to scroll down from the higher z levels and go, OH SHI-! Boats! AND LOTS OF THEM!  ;D
火族

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 01:15:49 am »

Here is the Goldparch port.  Went with a strong theme of a dwarven seaport with docks, lighthouse etc...
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2913-goldparch
Eager to hear your thoughts on it.

Great fortress, I like the idea behind it all.
Ill give it 8/10.

For another of my fortresses I present: Towerbranded - (warning spoilers present) http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-2806-towerbranded

YojimboUsaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 09:26:25 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments.

Underwater pillars - I cheated... I made the docks and dry-dock area leaving a small piece of land separating it from the sea.  When finished I just channeled out the last bit and flooded the whole thing.  The fishing vessel was built after this and you can see the bit of bridges and stuff that were deconstructed laying on the sea floor.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 09:28:10 pm »

Is the map archive site not working for anyone else? For me it just comes up as a bunch of flashing things and nothing responds when I click (it used to work...only change I can think of is I switched to Firefox 3)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2008, 03:44:52 am »

Do you have the latest flash player?  I think you need it to view the maps (not sure though)
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.
Pages: 1 [2]