Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At last, A more Civil Goblin Mod for DF (Release 0.0.95)  (Read 3329 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
At last, A more Civil Goblin Mod for DF (Release 0.0.95)
« on: June 18, 2009, 08:33:08 pm »

({DOWNLOAD HERE})

Er hm, let me begin by saying that I believe that Toady's goblins are not green skinned but in fact they are gray skinned.

Continuing, this mod as of now still has much more planned for later but unfortunately that later planned stuff is still being worked out. For now the mod is mostly done and playable, hopefully.

Changes this mod brings.

BIG ONES!
-Goblins are more civil and now the only playable race in fort mode.

-they wear different clothing that is much more expensive than your typical vanilla clothing.

-they mainly use firearms as a means of defending themselves, although be warned, you may want to keep seperate stockpiles for your ranged weapons, as all of these weapons use the crossbow skill!
  -Rifles of the short and long bayonet type, they fire minie balls which do 500[BLUDGEON] standard iron damage
    -short does slash damage while long does pierce, long is stronger but has a high chance to stick
  -Handgun, nothing too special just a slightly stronger version of the crossbow
  -CANNON, obtainable via smelter, fires cannon shot which causes 5000[GORE] damage, instant kill

-Goblins can make obsidian from nothing, although this sound like cheating, it is justified, as goblins can no longer dig into the mountains. So get used to building above ground settlements.
  -Goblins can also make iron and steel items via blank stone reactions, these can be made from nothing as well.
    -They can also be used as gems.

(That's not how they look in game)

A blank stone can be made into one of three stones.
2 Power stones can create three pieces of coal.
1 Power stone plus mineral can create iron extract. Which in turn can be smelted into iron bars.
One of each stone (minus the blank) can be used to make steel extract. Which as well can be smelted into steel bars.

Five pieces of Obsidian stone and a pure stone can also create a stack of five bones.

Slightly less bigger changes!

-Animal civilizations, very very very dangerous animal civilizations, they all breed in litters and have naturally high damage block, along with many other fun traits.
  -Bear People, these guys are HUGE, and do not get stunned during fights. fortunately they use only copper items.
  -Lemminites, think kobolds on ecstasy and PCP, they use only wooden weapons but breed in large liters.
  -God Toad people, do not get in a fist fight with these guys, other than that, well beware they use iron items!
  -Turtle people, slow but deadly and super high damage block, also they use iron items.
  -Annnnd! Snake people, your only friends in this goblin hating world. They also use iron items.
-NEW PACK ANIMALS!
  -Black cats, don't under estimate these little critters
  -Bass Turtles, large lumbering creatures with ultra mega highz damage block but very slow.
  -Stream line diggers, pretty much giant white earth worms with horns.
  -And goblin slaves, for all your depraved goblin needs!

-Notes

*Black Cats do not breed as much as normal cats, they're breeding age is their last year. So you really don't have to worry much when it comes to black catsplosions.

*All sentient beings can be sold for a profit when cage properly, you can also tame their babies when they give birth to them.

*Goblins do not farm.

*Depending on where you settle, you may need to fill a well with water.

*ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU. ALWAYS BRING ONE STONE WITH YOU.
YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE. YOU CAN NOT START A FORT WITH A FURNACE.

*Also, expect to find some surprises in this mod. No, not HFS related.

Future release ideas.

I'll Fill this out soon.  ;)

({DOWNLOAD HERE})
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:35:18 pm by Creamcorn »
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: At last, A more Civil Goblin Mod for DF (Release 0.0.95)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:13:45 am »

I could really use some feedback, from those ten people that downloaded my mod.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Aengus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:24:09 pm »

errrmmm how do  i get the goblins to make the obsidian and blanks stones?

you did not mention that

Hotshot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:48:22 pm »

At Aengus: you make the obsidian and blank stones in a smelter.

Also i think i may of found a couple bugs.
well if it was a bug or intended i don't know but the black cat shoots around at like 50 tiles per second,
and i haven't noticed my goblins eat as of yet but that might just be me , this is with version 40d11.

Aengus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:14:15 pm »

hmmmm it doesnt give me the option in the smelter

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:13:56 pm »

I see a rather big flaw. The only way to start a fortress is with surface magma, which runs the risk of your gobbos being killed early on by the magma's inhabitants. Since the goblins can't dig or channel, there's no way to divert it.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:59:38 am »

It doesn't make any sense to me that they can't even dig into the dirt-kobold camp allows kobolds to dig, people are just expected to play in the spirit of the mod and not dig into rock (or only do so to make a natural looking cave). You might want to do the same here. I understand you want to encourage aboveground settlements, but quite frankly denying gobbos the ability to dig is simply prohibitively restricting, as has been pointed out by the above poster. Stone from nothing also kind of breaks immersion for me, personally I avoid that kind of thing for the same reason I don't make dragons common domestic pets-it feels exploitative, and extremely "videogamey" as other people have said. It also makes no sense for them to be able to build stone buildings and not even be able to quarry, especially when they are advanced enough to have gunpowder weapons. That's my opinion, anyway.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 10:59:05 am »

OH BOY! Comments! I was beginning to wonder if anyone even gave a shit.
At Aengus: you make the obsidian and blank stones in a smelter.

Also i think i may of found a couple bugs.
well if it was a bug or intended i don't know but the black cat shoots around at like 50 tiles per second,
and i haven't noticed my goblins eat as of yet but that might just be me , this is with version 40d11.

Hm, I think I forgot to take off the [NOEAT][NODRINK] and [NOSLEEP] tags I used when I was testing this.

As for the cats, they are a necessary thing. Their speed enables them to shoot out of your citadel so quickly, that if they encounter any ambushes, they are immediately able to run back into your fortress.

errrmmm how do  i get the goblins to make the obsidian and blanks stones?

you did not mention that

1. EMBARK WITH STONE, I CAN NOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT THIS REALLY IS!
2. Get a furnace operator/building designer (if you feel like it)
3. Build a smelter
4. Get to making stuff

hmmmm it doesnt give me the option in the smelter

It could be that you built the wrong type of furnace, remember there is more than one type of furnace.

The one that you need in order to get things running is a smelter or it could be that you forgot to add the new reactions text into the raws of your files.

I see a rather big flaw. The only way to start a fortress is with surface magma, which runs the risk of your gobbos being killed early on by the magma's inhabitants. Since the goblins can't dig or channel, there's no way to divert it.

You don't need magma, all you need is one stone to build a smelter and one furnace operate, also I've been working on a different version of this, which I will explain to the next poster.

It doesn't make any sense to me that they can't even dig into the dirt-kobold camp allows kobolds to dig, people are just expected to play in the spirit of the mod and not dig into rock (or only do so to make a natural looking cave). You might want to do the same here. I understand you want to encourage aboveground settlements, but quite frankly denying gobbos the ability to dig is simply prohibitively restricting, as has been pointed out by the above poster. Stone from nothing also kind of breaks immersion for me, personally I avoid that kind of thing for the same reason I don't make dragons common domestic pets-it feels exploitative, and extremely "videogamey" as other people have said. It also makes no sense for them to be able to build stone buildings and not even be able to quarry, especially when they are advanced enough to have gunpowder weapons. That's my opinion, anyway.

Well Byakugan01, I have been working and tweaking stuff, sorry if my mod comes off to some of you as videogammy but the fact remains that I choose this style of modding in order to make things as impossible as they could be while remaining fun.

I had allot of fun testing every single quirk and mistake this mod had. And in the previous topic I had someone mention that being able to dig stones from the ground and converting them into obsidian would help balance the whole system. Needless to say I worked upon the idea, unfortunately I lost interest in the whole mod when nobody was giving me feed back. Now that I have at least some feedback I can comfortably continue this mod, these few posts in this topic have made me ecstatic!

Please, please Bay12, keep telling me the good and the bad about this mod I really don't care how vulgar a comment will be just as long as it is some type of feed back!
(im comming off as desperate aren't i?)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:58:13 am by Creamcorn »

xaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:22 am »

I think the idea of a non-digging civilization is quite interesting, in fact, I independently came up with the same idea for one of the races in my Warhammer 40k mod. (The Eldar, who sing all their buildings into existence... yeah... it's kinda fruity) It does have its advantages and disadvantages. One thing I think that's important to maintain is a sense of balance. In vanilla DF, you can basically get stone for free, so it's reasonable for goblins to do so as well. However, it's much harder to get things like iron and steel. For goblins, there's already one guaranteed source of iron: invading races. You can make this an even better source by adding in a race like giants who wear full plate or something. Taking out the free iron reactions might make it too hard to get iron, but this is DF. Better to be too hard than too easy. As for steel, you could use bonemeal as a source of flux. It's done in this mod if you need an example. Speaking of which, the free bone reactions don't make sense to me either. Bones are usually something that's never in short supply in most fortresses. If the player needs to get them for free, they're probably doing something wrong. Also, Wood burning is allowed, so why not use that instead of creating fuel for free?

That said, this looks like a pretty promising mod. I'm looking forward to future updates.

Lastly, minor nitpick: in the raws, it should be "primitive" not "primative"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:53:56 am by xaque »

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 02:41:03 pm »

My problem isn't so much with stones being made at a smelter (heck, you can do it in a lab if you have a furnace hot enough to melt the required minerals and then allow the molten mixture to cool over the proper period of time for the rock you want), but that it costs nothing and given the value of obsidian in particular, is extremely abusable with 1 full-time furnace operator. Though I didn't think of this before, you might want to make it truly colonial and make people build a wooden settlement-think log cabins, like the early colonial settlements-while making obsidian/bauxite/etc a tradeable good for the snakemen, so as to make that first stone something that you can't get until after the first fall/etc. THEN you can build your smelter, and perhaps combine ashes, bone meal (as an abstraction of making mortar), and a piece of wood to create the obsidian-which of course should be made into blocks, but doesn't HAVE to be. This would encourage extensive deforestation, which was pretty common around colonial settlements. Blank stones might also be made from animal men meat/chunks (chunks are used in the dark dwarf mod for something similar). It would increase the challenge if you ask me. Out of curiosity, have you ever actually experienced a catsplosion? I've never seen one myself, so I personally regard it as a dwarven urban legend.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:26:01 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 10:20:41 pm »

Ah, dang it. I forgot about the wood furnaces and the like. Still, that means you need a hell of a lot of trees, and with not a lot of them sold by caravans and pretty much no way to set up tree farms since you can't discover underground rivers and can't farm, you are pretty much screwed past a certain point.

Tis a shame the economy's still a placeholder, else the natural solution to "free obsidian" exploits would be a kind of obsidian value inflation.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:22:27 pm by Praetyre »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:22:49 pm »

Well untill we're all just going to have to make through. Hopefully I can get this rebalancing stuff uploaded sometime next week, I still have tons of stuff to do on and off the internet. :-\