Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i make tilesets? Or Graphic Sets?  (Read 1459 times)

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
How do i make tilesets? Or Graphic Sets?
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:25:11 pm »

I know this HAS been asked a Bajillion times, But no one gives me a straight answer, They always say "Blah blah wiki wiki this that" But ive read the wiki alot of times, And it doesnt exactly tell me how to make creatures, Or how to PUT them into the game after your done making them. And no, Im just wondering.. Because i would like to try and make some new creatures + Tilesets, =P

Soo...
1. How do you make tilesets? What Specific Program do you use? (DO NOT GIVE ME WIKI)
2. How do you install them into your game for a test run?
3. Also.. How do i make Kobolds/Goblins/Humans my Default Players when i do Fortress Mode?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:56:20 pm by AmberMac »
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
Re: How do i make tilesets? Or Graphic Sets?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:41:22 pm »

Bump =O
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:35:27 pm »

1. You can make tilesets in any image editing program. I use Paint Shop Pro personally, but only because I'm used to it. You could try Photoshop, The GIMP or even Paint.

2. To "install" an ordinary tileset, put it in your art folder, much as you would with any other tileset, and then reference it appropriately in the init.txt file. I hate to say it, but this stage is pretty clearly described on the wiki if you're having trouble. For graphics sets, you edit the graphics_example.txt file so the game knows how many tiles there are in your set and which tile belongs to which job/creature. You can see examples of this in any of the graphics tilesets currently available. Have a poke around.

3. Go to your raws folder and open up entity_default.txt. Remove [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] for dwarves, and put it under the entry for whatever race you want to control. You may need to fiddle a bit more to get them to do everything dwarves do in fortress mode normally. Oh, and you'll need to start a new world.

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:48:13 pm »

Is the max tilesize 16x16 or can they be made larger?

EchoP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 06:07:31 am »

I am pretty sure that they can be larger, though I have no idea what the roof is. I think anything over that size is getting pretty large though...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:38:06 pm »

Nah you can make larger of course. I plan to make a 32x32 tileset once we gonna have full gfx support. [Separated text + graphics, and we will be able to create a graphical imagine for every in-game objects.]

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 04:40:20 pm »

I wanna make a tileset out of FFIV sprites.