Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c MAC] really slow compared to Windows version  (Read 973 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
[40c MAC] really slow compared to Windows version
« on: September 05, 2008, 11:28:56 am »

So I'm having problems with my windows machine (nothing I can't fix but it'll take a while), and decided to try out the Mac version in the meantime.  The first thing I noticed was that once I've embarked (with 7 dwarves), it takes ~7-10 minutes to go through 4 days of game play.  Since the FPS counter doesn't work, I don't know what my FPS is, but to give you some idea in my windows XP games, I wouldn't have it this slow until I had about 100 dwarves or so + countless animals (both domesticated and wild).
I run the XP DF on the Mac as well, through Parallels (which is the program I'm currently having to troubleshoot, won't bore you with details), so it's nothing different as far as processor, memory, etc.
If there's anything I can add, let me know, and I didn't see this on the bug list, so if it's been reported before, my apologies.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c MAC] really slow compared to Windows version
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 12:19:14 pm »

Did you turn on PARTIAL_PRINT?  The mac version has been a lot slower since the start, but PARTIAL_PRINT fixes a large fraction of the problem.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:20:38 pm »

I'll try that.

Edit: It's much faster now, thanks!  Still not up to par with XP DF, but playable.  Sorry about the false report. :-\
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 01:46:24 pm »

It's not a false report -- it's true, the mac version is slower for some reason.

Paolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 03:44:23 pm »

Can someone describe how to turn on the PARTIAL_PRINT option? I tried looking into the init.txt file, searching the forum (which gave just this thread as a result) and the DF wiki, but to no avail.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:20:52 pm »

Can someone describe how to turn on the PARTIAL_PRINT option? I tried looking into the init.txt file, searching the forum (which gave just this thread as a result) and the DF wiki, but to no avail.

It's in the init, close to the top. Look harder. ctrl-f works well if you use notepad.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Paolo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 12:36:21 am »

It turns out that my 40c installation was using an older imported init.txt, which didn't include this option. Thanks!!

[EDIT] It is impressive how turning this setting on improved the performances on my macbook, especially my cpu temperature has finally turned down to a human level :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 12:41:37 am by Paolo »

HisMajestyBOB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 12:59:16 pm »

Yeah, its amazing how much faster it is on Windows. I have to set the FPS cap at 50 in XP, otherwise my dwarves fly across the screen as if they had roller skates. Rocket roller skates.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:06:01 pm »

Yeah, its amazing how much faster it is on Windows. I have to set the FPS cap at 50 in XP, otherwise my dwarves fly across the screen as if they had roller skates. Rocket roller skates.

You'd be amazed what carp powered technology can do.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!