Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crap.  (Read 4147 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Crap.
« on: September 06, 2008, 07:57:11 am »

Hullo, me again.  I have a teensy problem.

When I left Vegas, I wanted to take along all my Dwarf Fortress stuff with me (naturally).  So I packed it all up in a RAR file and transferred it to my phone.  Once I got my new computer, I took the files back off the phone and put them on my new laptop.

Unfortunately, there was another step in there.  I gave a password to the RAR file.

Guess what I'm having a little trouble remembering right now.

So, eh, if anyone knows how I might get around this little blip, please let me know.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep throwing passwords at this damned thing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Crap.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:02:52 am »

Well, there are these password-breaker programs around, but unless you were very conservative with your password, I don't see them as having any good effect.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 08:42:17 am »

How conservative are we talking here? 

EDIT:  Well, the most important things were apparently unprotected.  I've got my Death and Glory information and the secret project I was working on, but a lot of other stuff is still locked down.  Not necessary stuff, but still a real bother losing it.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:07:46 am »

Try DF/Dwarf Fortress.
Or just about any variation of that with 1337 sp33k.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:44:35 am »

Uh... Dwarf/Toady/Toady One, or try passwords you use for other things.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 11:20:44 am »

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who has been working with computers for a very long time.  I never have relevant passwords, passwords made up of a single (real) word, or abc123 (it's just funny how many people use that).

I also have the brilliant idea that since a RAR file is slightly less secure than the other places where I might use paswords, I probably shouldn't use a password that I use in other places.  Because, on the off chance that someone hacks the password out of it, I don't want them having a password that I use for a lot of different things.

But yeah, that's basically what I've been doing.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 12:33:09 pm »

Think of all the passwords that you might of used and throw them at it.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 01:39:45 pm »

That's why I only have one password. For everything.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 03:22:30 pm »

I have a select few, some of which are simply variations on each other.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 03:25:14 pm »

Why did you put a password on DF stuff? That's not really that private.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 05:10:21 am »

And there was absolutely no reason to have one on there, since I was just transferring from PC to phone.

The problem is that I had originally intended to host it on DFFD, and then download that package from my new computer.  There is no other way to restrict access to something on there other than placing a password on the file itself, so I did that.

I just didn't like the idea of having someone else come on and download all my DF information, including DnG, my secret project, and all my half-made mods.  If I want people to download something of mine, I want to actually release it first.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 05:43:41 am »

Remember that most of the password hackers available on the interwebs are brute force techs which would take a significant amount of time to crack anything longer than 4 characters (reports being anywhere from hours to weeks to years, if the interblag is to be believed).

So, you'd have to be a little more creative I guess. Does anyone have access to your computer? Perhaps you can get them to send it to you. Other than that... I dunno. Report a break-in in your place and then beg the police to send the file to you? Perhaps you could use this time to reflect on needless paranoia such as passwording a .rar file that probably isn't going to leave your possession. I kid... I kid.

Or you could... you know... enjoy yourself without giving a damn about Dwarf Fortress for awhile. Blasphemy! Oh noes!

*searchlight turn on*

You'll never get me alive!!!!

*takes off every Zig*

P.s: Here's a link to Advanced Archive Password Recovery: http://www.elcomsoft.com/archpr.html. They have a free trial, methinks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 06:21:59 am »

I think I'm good for the moment.  I've got my main projects on hand, the stuff I lost was basically just a collection of old saves and abandoned mods.  And the Woodsman.

I'll manage.  Thanks for the help though.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 11:29:52 am »

*takes off every Zig*
You shouldn't have done that. Make me some time, since we are on our way to destruction. *insert dull hahaha here*

*cough*

Yes, where were we?

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.