Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using your adventurer to help your fortress  (Read 2146 times)

The Philosopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using your adventurer to help your fortress
« on: September 10, 2008, 07:18:22 am »

I'm not sure if this topic should be in adventure or fortress mode discussion cuz it involves both. Anyway I've been wondering if it's possible to use your adventurer to wipe out all goblin civilization,and then use the same world for fortress mode so that there will be no more goblin seiges. I haven't tried this out yet since I can't make my adventurer strong enough and I dunno how to mod :P

lordmick134

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wanderer.
    • View Profile
Re: Using your adventurer to help your fortress
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:25:49 am »

Since Goblins are currently generated as soon as they arive at your fortress, it wouldn't have any effect to kill them all.
Although you won't have any named goblins showing up.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:26:34 am »

I don't know if that would work but I would presume that if you made a fort abandoned it and went around in adventure mode and gathered things if you put those things in the fort I would think that yu could use them when you reclaim.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 09:09:26 am »

You can turn invasions off if that's your agenda

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:21:41 am »

I don't know if that would work but I would presume that if you made a fort abandoned it and went around in adventure mode and gathered things if you put those things in the fort I would think that yu could use them when you reclaim.

You should be able to do that... not that there's much that you can grab in adventure mode that you can't make in dwarf mode. You could pillage a few towns for the shops' gold for an early wealth boost I guess...

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:54:22 am »

I've seen magma transport plans that involved building two forts next to each other, one with a magma pipe and a large pump-filled reservoir with spill gates at the map edge, the second with a collection ditch and pool/magma-duct. Built, set up, and abandon each, then you go back as an adventurer and pull the lever, allowing the magma to flow out of the reservoir and across the map boundary into the collection area.

It can be used to transport large quantities of magma to areas with none, potentially over great distances and through multiple transport-forts. Could be used to move water, too, I suppose.

If you just want to kill gobbos, I'd suggest starting a fort on-site, have your seven dig in and fort up where they can't be attacked, and conscripting immigrants who show up to bum-rush the gobbos. As a bomus I've heard that gobbos that show up to attack you(siege, ambush) will also attack the local gobbos.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 01:30:19 pm »

I've seen magma transport plans that involved building two forts next to each other, one with a magma pipe and a large pump-filled reservoir with spill gates at the map edge, the second with a collection ditch and pool/magma-duct. Built, set up, and abandon each, then you go back as an adventurer and pull the lever, allowing the magma to flow out of the reservoir and across the map boundary into the collection area.

It can be used to transport large quantities of magma to areas with none, potentially over great distances and through multiple transport-forts. Could be used to move water, too, I suppose.

Has anyone successfully done this?  My experience with damming a river seemed to indicate that chages in flows only register when the part of the map that created them is currently 'visible' as part of an active adventurer or dwarf fortress game.  That is, when I showed up as an adventurer to the dam I'd built previously, the part downriver started off full then started to drain while I was in the area.  Makes me figure that a long-range aquaduct would only work if you walked up and down its length as an adventurer or included the source in your fort.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:48:06 pm »

Has anyone successfully done this?  My experience with damming a river seemed to indicate that chages in flows only register when the part of the map that created them is currently 'visible' as part of an active adventurer or dwarf fortress game.  That is, when I showed up as an adventurer to the dam I'd built previously, the part downriver started off full then started to drain while I was in the area.  Makes me figure that a long-range aquaduct would only work if you walked up and down its length as an adventurer or included the source in your fort.

I belive it's been tried, although I don't recall the thread name.

And the idea isn't a continuous aquaduct/magmaduct - you can't build on the map edge anyway.

Instead, you pump-fill an above-ground reservoir, then come back as an adventurer and open the floodgate - the water/magma flows out, over what would be the Dwarf-mode map edge, onto the map area of the second fort and into the collection trench, funneled into a collection pool.

From here you can reclaim the second fort, transfer the magma across the map to another reservoir, and found a third fort to build the receiving works. Rinse and repeat; want more magma?(and you will - you'll lose alot of the stuff to map-transfer spill and 1/7 trailings) Reclaim the first fort and put another load of magma into the system.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 01:52:49 pm »

Heaven forbid you try and go up-hill with it ><

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 02:08:05 pm »

Another thing you can do with adventurers is take items from one fort location and move them to another. Or just loot towns - you could arrive on a new fort site and find that some mysterious stranger has kindly strewn a bunch of iron warhammers all over the place, for example.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 02:15:18 pm »

Heaven forbid you try and go up-hill with it ><

Hehe, yeah; you'd probably have to make a magmafall and hope enough splatter makes it over the edge and into the collection trench.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

Well, couldn't you technically make lots of mining outposts and haul adamantine chunks to your would-be fort?

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 04:35:35 am »

Since Goblins are currently generated as soon as they arive at your fortress, it wouldn't have any effect to kill them all.
Although you won't have any named goblins showing up.

This will probably get fixed when the army arc is completed for normal play. It doesn't make sense that they're generated out of thin air, especially if you've slaughtered all of the goblins in adventure mode. Seems like all that needs to be done is to check the military of the attacking army, then just link them to the ambush/seige. If they die, they're gone. Something like that. If you kill them in adventure mode, they shouldn't be available in dwarf-mode either, unless they're replaced by new recruits.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 01:22:25 pm »

Well, couldn't you technically make lots of mining outposts and haul adamantine chunks to your would-be fort?

Depends - items are scattered upon abandon based on weight, with lighter going further, which is why making uber-light adamantine items for adventurer mode is so troublesome and often futile.

How heavy is raw adamantine?

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 08:49:17 pm »

I belive it's been tried, although I don't recall the thread name.

And the idea isn't a continuous aquaduct/magmaduct - you can't build on the map edge anyway.

Instead, you pump-fill an above-ground reservoir, then come back as an adventurer and open the floodgate - the water/magma flows out, over what would be the Dwarf-mode map edge, onto the map area of the second fort and into the collection trench, funneled into a collection pool.

From here you can reclaim the second fort, transfer the magma across the map to another reservoir, and found a third fort to build the receiving works. Rinse and repeat; want more magma?(and you will - you'll lose alot of the stuff to map-transfer spill and 1/7 trailings) Reclaim the first fort and put another load of magma into the system.

That would be my Transcontinental Magma Pipeline ...

It's on hiatus at the moment until the save braking version comes out as I really want to have the nice Military changes...
At the moment I'm actually working on a variant of the pipeline to pump magma off the edge of the map to make a totally artificial obsidian island on a other wise completely ocean map...

The method works but you really want to build up a big reservoir at the edge of your map...
The closest you can get a floodgate is 5 tiles... but you can use a few bridges to get the lava right to the edge ... 
Anyway it's all in the other Thread.

As for the idea of transporting adamantine from map to map... you could put it in heavy bins as an adventurer I think... hell you can put things in Armour stands when you are in adventure mode... (I think so... I think I've done it when carrying the armour stand...)