Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: migrants  (Read 853 times)

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
migrants
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:34 am »

ok i give   whats it take to get migrants.  two fortresses now and both times   i get teh message  no migrants this season. 
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

Oldin

• Bay Watcher
  • I Lost the game.
    • View Profile
Re: migrants
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 05:53:05 am »

I believe you just need to wait a bit longer. You get that message in every game in the first summer because there hasn't been any trade caravans visiting your fort and spreading the word of how successfull a hamlet you have created.

foenix phyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 05:56:59 am »

ah ha    a case of me getting frustrated too soon then.   Thanks.   SOrry for all the dumb questions  but i am so into this game. lol 

[edit] whoo hooo  i have migrants lol [edit]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:59:26 am by foenix phyre »
Success is counted sweetest / By those who ne'er succeed / To comprehend a nectar / Requires sorest need / Not all of the purple host / Who took the flag today / Can tell the definition / So clear, of victory, / As he, defeated, dying / On whose forbidden ear / The distant strains of triumph / Break, agonized and clear

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 02:03:46 pm »

I believe you just need to wait a bit longer. You get that message in every game in the first summer because there hasn't been any trade caravans visiting your fort and spreading the word of how successfull a hamlet you have created.

Not necessarily - if you dig out enough squares and/or produce enough wealth very early they'll come in the first spring/summer.
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:43:42 pm »

yep ive had some show up the first year too, but its not easy. no ones really too certain, but yea, do a lot of digging and go for the wealth if you want lots of immigrants early on. easy to have a good army this way.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 03:40:29 am »

the best i could get was getting migrants as soon as the dwarven caravan left the first year. i had a wealth lower than 10000, but i had mined a lot. also, i offered as gift  to the caravansome mechanism. trade was mainly mecganism and instruments. caravan left, after some days 13 migrants arrived.
only problem is that i am on a full glacier map, no water, no soil, no animals, no life. and now i get 13 more dwarves to feed. for meat, i have dogs, but no way to get drink soon.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:31:14 pm »

You need to melt some of that ice. Try to collapse a section of natural ice wall such that it falls down to a stone-level (there it will warm up and melt to form 7/7 water). This can be tricky.

The water can be a safety measure in case you run out of booze.

You can then take some buckets and dump water onto rock (or even ice?) and farm it.
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)