Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire, and how to get rid of it  (Read 2231 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Fire, and how to get rid of it
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:52:15 pm »

An inexplicaple brushfire set a dwarf on fire. He's an artifact-legendary carpenter, and my best woodcutter, which means that
A) He's unbelievably tough, which makes him get wounded slower I think, so I have at least a little time.
and B) I'd sort of like to keep him.

Can I somehow make him drop his burning clothing? I already forbade everything, but that doesn't seem to have the desired effect. In case it matters, he's also in military so I can keep him where I can see him. I don't think I have enough time to douse him with water, but I'll try that if there is indeed no way to make him realize that fire is a health hazard.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire, and how to get rid of it
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 02:45:28 pm »

Water doesn't work. I found out the hard way in adventure mode. It just turns the water into steam, hurting you more. Don't do it.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 02:55:01 pm »

You could turn tempature off in the init file, and he'ld be perpetually on fire and not harmed...  I think, that option might only be available to turn on and off before embarking.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 03:59:56 pm »

Marking his clothing and other burning objects for dumping may work...just make sure your dump zone is outside your fort so he doesn't set your booze on fire or anything.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 04:03:36 pm »

The init temp works after embarking as well, but things will still be on fire just not getting damage.  Also I think they can still set fire to other thngs.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:59:17 pm »

So... Turn off temperature, dump burning clothing. Thanks, I'll try that.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 08:04:24 pm »

I don't think it will spread to other things once you turn off temperature. Much like in real life, the fire in DF spreads by increasing the heat of the surrounding area enough so that adjacent objects also catch fire. And so on.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »

Water works sometimes. If the fire isn't too hot, water will put it out WITHOUT clouds of deadly steam.

It's a gamble, though.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58:41 pm »

Encase the dwarf in ice.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:58:24 am »

How realistic. Jumping into water while burning will make you die from the generated steam. Yeah... VERY realistic. Water need a special coding to prevent this. This is not how water works.

Also, the wiki says steam is harmless.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Steam
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:51 am »

Water doesn't work. I found out the hard way in adventure mode. It just turns the water into steam, hurting you more. Don't do it.
That...that is awesome.  Fire truly is the great destroyer.
Dwarf Fortress at its best.  You're on fire, and you try to put it out, and you simply get hurt more by scalding steam.

Should we call this kind of thing (getting killed by a bug) being buggered by Dwarf Fortress?
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 10:03:48 am »

I remember seeing a group of wild horses surviving a massive bush fire while staying near an artificial waterfall. I thought that it was because of the mist, but whether or not this was the case I never tested.
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 05:00:50 pm »

That...that is awesome.  Fire truly is the great destroyer.
Dwarf Fortress at its best.  You're on fire, and you try to put it out, and you simply get hurt more by scalding steam.

Should we call this kind of thing (getting killed by a bug) being buggered by Dwarf Fortress?

Yes fire is a truly a beast to be reckoned with.  When bloodthirsty elephants and rampaging goblins couldn't take down Boatmurdered, Armok sent down fire.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 09:43:54 pm »

I remember seeing a group of wild horses surviving a massive bush fire while staying near an artificial waterfall. I thought that it was because of the mist, but whether or not this was the case I never tested.

Well, someone said water worked so long as the fire wasn't too hot; the water could have been keeping the temperature from reaching their combustion point.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 11:45:02 am »

Yes fire is a truly a beast to be reckoned with.  When bloodthirsty elephants and rampaging goblins couldn't take down Boatmurdered, Armok sent down fire.
They dug too greedily and too deep, and found the magma river.

Oh, and by the way, the carpenter is fine. Turning off temperature kept him from dying, and while he never actually dumped his burning clothing, they eventually went out on their own. Maybe it was the rain or something. Anyway, success.

EDIT:
On a second look, no. If I turn the temperature back on, the carpenter's clothes will catch fire again. Also, the brushfire will start again. So apparently his clothes are still hot enough to burst into flames, and will not cool, ever, because temperature is off. Oh, well.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:00:20 pm by Soadreqm »