Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An interesting discovery involving Moods.  (Read 1576 times)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An interesting discovery involving Moods.
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:46 pm »

So, i'm not sure if i'm just slow on this one, or i've found something awesome, but if you forbid an item a mood dwarf drags to his shop, he'll go grab another. I just used this to go from him making an artifact Diorite mechanism, to making an artifact Adamantite mechanism worth 2 mil!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: An interesting discovery involving Moods.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:48:40 pm »

This sounds like a bug.

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:56:50 pm »

Forbidding it *as* it is being dragged to the shop I take it? Or did you forbid it after being dragged to the shop? Because I've heard the latter does bad things.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 09:58:36 pm »

I forbid it IN the shop, and he just went and grabbed another piece of Adamantite.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:09:18 pm »

I usually forbid any non steel, or adamatine if i have it, bars the second a metal-whatever gets a mood in my fort.

I've had some dam nice spears :)
Magma is overrated.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 01:29:41 am »

I normally just forbid all the alternatives. Saves hauling time, and time is sanity.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 02:30:35 pm »

Someone pointed this out a while ago. I think he also mentioned that he kept forbidding the things the moody dwarf found and it eventually got bored and made an artifact out of nothing.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 05:35:52 pm »

I've found it still a hassle to forbid all the stuff you don't want the dwarf to use, and then unforbid it afterward.  I've ended up doing the following:

Each mood workshop is in its own closed off room, with one accessible door.  This door leads to a 1 tile hallway that has another door at the end.  In the hallway is a 1 tile garbage zone, usually inactive.  When a dwarf claims the workshop, the game pauses automatically.  I then lock the inner door to the workshop, resume the game briefly and then pause it again.  I check the workshop to see what the dwarf is demanding.  I then use my stocks screen to find individual items that he needs, and choosing the ones I want, I set them to be dumped.  Dwarves pick up the items and deliver them to the workshop steps.  I then pause the game, lock the outer door, unforbid the items, deactivate the garbage zone, and unlock the inner door.  I resume, the moody dwarf picks up his items (and can't get to any other items that may otherwise seem closer to the dwarf), and no other dwarves try to get the items and put them back in their proper stockpiles.

You will need to temporarily disable all other garbage zones, and generally ensure that no other raw items are in the workshop space.  Also, I've had to deal with dumping stones that were blocking the doors, but if you remember to do so, it's a minor issue.

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:27:08 am »

Can this have any effect on the number of items the mooder will put into the artifact?
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.

Blue Eagle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 01:52:15 am »

Yes, but this takes away the fun of getting nonsense artifacts.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 04:56:35 am »

If you forbid items already in the shop while he works, they aren't consumed in the process

I'm not entirely sure how it went, I only tried it once

Oh and if you hit save when the game autopauses as he starts working, you can savescum to change the type of artifact. I shamelessly changed a steel shoe into a steel plate mail like this

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 07:28:43 am »

Yes, but this takes away the fun of getting nonsense artifacts.

What fun?
It's rather anti-climactic if you ask me, just having received another steel diamond-encrusted toy axe.
If I could only sell it to the traders or something... Or give it to toddlers to play with.
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 07:32:33 am »

Or give it to toddlers to play with.

Artifact steel toy axe?

Urist McToddler cancels play: unconscious
Urist McToddler has bled to death