Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New CPU-friendly starting location (40d) in the wiki  (Read 1105 times)

nondescuid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New CPU-friendly starting location (40d) in the wiki
« on: September 07, 2008, 03:27:36 pm »

Because I want to try to make a fort which I will not abandon due to frame rate, I have been looking for a location which has a low CPU consumption.

I have posted the results of my search to the wiki.

I'd appreciate if someone who is not a wikin00b like me can check if anything is wrong with that page (spelling/grammar/markup/etc corrections welcome).

Also, can somebody verify that the seed given in the wiki is enough to reproduce this map on another system?

If that does not work, here's the complete world gen data (I just hit "Create New World Now" in a default .40d install):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
Re: New CPU-friendly starting location (40d) in the wiki
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:31:47 pm »

Categorize it(the subpage) and you're fine.

Good job.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:40:36 pm »

can somebody verify that the seed given in the wiki is enough to
reproduce this map on another system?

I just downloaded 40d, and I am sorry to say that this did not work for me. The resultant map was eerily similar...same basic shape in the world map, but visible differences in the regional map, totally different local map, different region name, and sadly, no magma at all.

If that does not work, here's the complete world gen data

...strangely...this gives me a world that is even closer, but also not quite the same. Same name, world and regional maps appear identical, but the local map has a couple squares with different terrain, and once again, there's no magma.

nondescuid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 03:46:26 am »

Categorize it(the subpage) and you're fine.

I have added [[category: version 0.28.181.40d]] to the Pregenerated_worlds/0.28.181.40d page. Is that what you meant?

I just downloaded 40d, and I am sorry to say that this did not work for me. The resultant map was eerily similar...same basic shape in the world map, but visible differences in the regional map, totally different local map, different region name, and sadly, no magma at all.

If that does not work, here's the complete world gen data

...strangely...this gives me a world that is even closer, but also not quite the same. Same name, world and regional maps appear identical, but the local map has a couple squares with different terrain, and once again, there's no magma.

What operating system did you use?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:50:51 am »

Hi!

Technically, this is not a pre-generated world since you are only sharing the seed and the world information.

I have the following suggestion to help you and others:

Upload the zipped save directory of that world in its freshly generated state over at the Dwarf Fortress File Depot and provide a link to your upload at the wiki page you generated.

Then, it would be a pre-generated world, which would be much faster for people to handle and would avoid any problems with different worlds created.

Deathworks

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:07:41 am »

What operating system did you use?

Windows XP.

I notice that your world gen data includes seeds for history and name as well. I haven't actually checked line by line to see if all the othr data matches the default "Medium" settings, but if it does...regardless of the fact that you and I got different results on different machines, it's interesting that I got different terrain maps using just the seed vs using your world gen data, even on the same machine.

If you try just the seed, and then paste in the world gen data you posted...do you get the same worlds each time? I don't.

nondescuid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:56:52 am »

I just checked again. Here are the exact steps I used to generate a copy of the world:

- unzip a pristine copy of df_28_181_40d.zip
- start DF
- Create World with Parameters
- select MEDIUM size
- hit 's', enter 3591897044
- generate the world

This generates exactly the same terrain (including the magma).

I noticed that I forgot to mention the size of the world (MEDIUM, 129x129). I have now added this information to the wiki page. The default size for "Create New World Now" is MEDIUM, while in the custom world gen screen, the cursor defaults to LARGE. Could that have been the problem?

EDIT: Pregenerated World available here.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:32:44 am by nondescuid »