Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm Baaaack*ominous music in background  (Read 606 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm Baaaack*ominous music in background
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:06:13 pm »

Well, some of you may remember that back in June my DF life and RW life merged when my home flooded...........not some weather phenomenon but just bad engineering (not mine, although in DF its all mine for sure).  This was back in june around 4 days before the big release of the latest DF from Toady.  Well, I am back now and ready for some good old fashioned Dwarfy Fun!  But I have noticed that there are a lot of new releases. 

Since i am basickly a slacker at heart and dont want to peruse the forums for hours, but instead want to PLAY the game, i thought i would just pose these questions to the community at large and try to sift some answers out of the many "read the dev notes asshole" and "use the search function dickhead" i am sure to get.

So, here goes:

1.  In a nutshell, what are the game changing differences since ...i think 33c?  Not like "oh. now u can designate _______", but things like, "now u need 4 of x to make 2 of y instead of 3x for 1y etc".

2.  Are there any problems i should know about performance?  Better, worse?  Do I run out and by a new PC just for DF ( i will if i have to ) ?

3.  Should I just get the latest update and find out for myself............damn, don't think i should have asked that question.......oh well...........wait, isnt there an edit utility around here?........

lets get Dwarfy! ;D

Gorjo MacGrymm of the Clan MacGrymm,
aka dude from a clan cooler than yours :P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:09:03 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Baaaack*ominous music in background
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:14:30 pm »

If you mean, for example, how much coal you get from lignite, I don't think any numbers like those have changed. As for other features, there's a few condensed lists of new features and bug fixes in the release_notes text file included with the game. 33c... There's been quite a few changes since then.

Religions, wars (worldgen only, but if worldgen ends with a war going on it can affect who you get sieged by), and a cool advanced parameters thing when making a world so you can make a massive desert world devoid of elven life if you want, but it's difficult to figure out how to use. Also, there's a world painter, but I wouldn't reccomend it.

Also, due to a new ethic system so complex even Toady has a hard time figuring it out, goblins have gone from the scourge of the lands to a quiet, peaceful race (albeit one with a lot of slaves), and Elves have gone from mildly annoying hypocrite hippies to cannibal zergling hypocrite hippies.

It's a tad slower now with default settings, but there's a new speed-affecting performance option, PARTIAL_PRINT. It basically makes the game not refresh the tiles that don't need to be refreshed until they need to be refreshed. It makes it faster, but the downside is it can cause nasty flickering on some computers. Fiddle around with the number in that option and the GFPS cap until you get a result you like.

Yeah, go ahead and download it, there's lots of new crap.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:23:46 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:23:52 pm »

If you mean, for example, how much coal you get from lignite, I don't think any numbers like those have changed. As for other features, there's a few condensed lists of new features and bug fixes in the release_notes text file included with the game.

It's a tad slower now with default settings, but there's a new speed-affecting performance option, PARTIAL_PRINT. It basically makes the game not refresh the tiles that don't need to be refreshed until they need to be refreshed. It makes it faster, but the downside is it can cause nasty flickering on some computers. Fiddle around with the number in that option and the GFPS cap until you get a result you like.

Yeah, go ahead and download it, if you get partial print to work it's quite a massive FPS boost.

I can say that the partial print works great. I tried it on a whim after reading this and it boosted my framerate from occationally 60 to full 100 with no tweaks needed.

edit: scratch that it doesn't seem to like the manager screen but changed it to 4 and its fine.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 06:28:51 pm by userpay »

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:30:38 pm »

MUCH THANKS!

I read the dev notes anyway.  I was about to do a search on this partial print thingy, thanks for the update!

now *wrings hands evilly (is that possible)* lets download this a try to win!   :P
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."