Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Dropped picks auto-forbidden  (Read 1648 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
[40c] Dropped picks auto-forbidden
« on: August 22, 2008, 12:01:47 am »

When I set my miners to stop mining (and thus haul things to the depot), they wouldn't pick their picks up again when I re-enabled it...turns out their picks were forbidden when they dropped them.

I can't reproduce it in this fort, but it happened to both my miners' picks.  They started with the picks, and it was the first time I'd disabled mining for them.  A few other dwarves have died before this happened, and I hadn't previously saved/reloaded on this fort.

My forbid options are:
Forbid used ammunition
Claim your dead
Claim your death items
Forbid other non-hunted dead
Forbid other death items
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Dropped picks auto-forbidden
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:37:04 am »

I drafted a miner as a last resort defense against some goblins, and he killed them all but was wounded in the process, dropping his pick. It was also forbidden, which I thought was strange but didn't think to report it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 02:49:00 am »

I just drafted a couple of my miners--same game, so they've been briefly forbidden from mining before--to deal with a rhesus macaque infestation.  I expected they'd just go into battle swinging their picks--I didn't change weapon settings.

One of them seems to have dropped his pick outside, might have gotten disarmed.  The other is still wielding his pick, but the pick IN HIS HAND is forbidden.  Bizarre.

Edit:  Undrafting the miners didn't unforbid the items, including the held pick...just in case that matters.  Also, this was the first time I fussed with the miners' jobs after save/reload.

(Offtopic: I find that miners work a lot better as an earlier-than-last resort!  Especially considering that, if you activate them early, they have time to put on armor.  A novice miner with a pick is far more deadly than your average soapmaker.  And it's easy enough to train...)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 02:58:26 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:25:08 am »

I had this with 40a as well.

At one time in the game looked at the ground next to my wagon and saw a forbidden pick. I assume one of the miners must have dropped them upon being drafted to figth some kobold thief or goblin snatcher.

It is definitely something that might be a problem (he pick that I detected could have well been used byx one of the dwarves to help in mining, hadnīt it been forbidden)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:29:01 am by Proteus »

Gnomechomsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:02:01 pm »

I had a problem that might be related...I had drafted five dwarves and handed them crossbows.  A few months later I noticed that only one had become a marksdwarf, and the other four weren't even carrying their crossbows.  I could see the crossbows in the stocks screen, but I never could find them.  I ended up just making  more crossbows, and then they grabbed them and started practicing.

I wonder if somehow they got dropped and auto-forbidden somewhere?  I'll try again to find them, and see if that's indeed the case.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 06:16:23 am »

I had a problem that might be related...I had drafted five dwarves and handed them crossbows.  A few months later I noticed that only one had become a marksdwarf, and the other four weren't even carrying their crossbows.  I could see the crossbows in the stocks screen, but I never could find them.  I ended up just making  more crossbows, and then they grabbed them and started practicing.

I wonder if somehow they got dropped and auto-forbidden somewhere?  I'll try again to find them, and see if that's indeed the case.

Well if you can see them in the stocks screen, finding them should be easy unless there is some other bug in effect. You can zoom to any item from the stocks screen, including forbidden ones. Forbidden items are marked and can be found at the bottom of the stock list.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 06:53:21 am »

And it is easy to unforbid them from the stock list as well, of course.

The bug seems to be rather common btw. I just checked the whole stock list and found out that lots of things were forbidden, aside from picks it were also crafted items (klike bracelets, crowns and the like), pieces of armor (obviously leftovers from dead Kobolds) and even trap components which I had bought from merchants.

Looks like at the moment it is wise to regularly check your stock lists for forbidden items, else you might some time wonder why the dwarves use only hald the amount of items you thought they had at their disposal

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:23:59 am »

Yeah, I can't get this to reproduce.  If there's some kind of step-by-step procedure or pointers on this, that would help.  I know it wasn't set in this case, but in general if you set your death items to be forbidden, items dropped from wounds will be forbidden, as that was a complaint (pre-death sever items weren't being handled, so any health-related drop will forbid items if it is set).
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!