Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slave Race Query  (Read 1509 times)

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slave Race Query
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:25:11 pm »

Ok, i've been messing around with modding my DF game, and i decided to make a mountable, tame capable, yet still it's own civ, race (They ride each other into battle!). The problem is, the ones i make into pets end up dying of thirst and hunger.

Is there a way to make them take food/water (which is what i intended, so they drain resources while only being capable of supporting my military), or do i have to resort to making them [no_eat] [no_drink]? Also, if i add the [ANIMAL] tag, what effects would that have on them?

My thinking was if i add CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER and the other for food, it would solve my problems.....but it didn't.

So basically, is there some sort of workaround i couldn't find for making these lesser creatures consume food/booze? (I don't care if i can't make them re-clothe themselves among other problems, since it's not too big of an issue for the time being)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Slave Race Query
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:27:06 pm »

Pets simply don't have the coding for eating or drinking, I think. Hardcoded limitation.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 09:14:55 am »

Any race stupid enough to ride it's own ass to battle deserves to starve.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:04:23 pm »

Wouldnt be that strange... might be kind of effective.

Train half of soldiers to carrier large amnts of weight and to build their legs. Get the other half to focus arm strength. Dodging might be a problem however.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 12:38:07 am »

I am still imagining an entire civ all balanced on top of one guy. With one riding on another who is riding on another and so on. ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tibbles

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:44:51 am »

Giving cats [INTELLIGENT] makes them start to eat all of your shit, and drink all your beer.

USE THIS KNOWLEDGE TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.
GODAMMIT KOBOLDS

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 12:54:08 pm »

Urist? The cats drank our beer.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:46:27 pm »

Giving cats [INTELLIGENT] makes them start to eat all of your shit, and drink all your beer.

USE THIS KNOWLEDGE TO YOUR ADVANTAGE.
ah, thank you, may Armok rain sunshine down upon your fortress in gratitude.

I was getting bored with giving them the "Building Destroyer" tag, so when the merchants come, the guards would randomly run around and knock things over (hehe, a race of wannabe bullies). Now i might be able to turn the captured into pets, or if i'm lucky enough, start a fort with a civ that has captured one of their towns (which gives access to having them on the starting loadout screen as pets).

It's also fun watching them bring their buddies in cages as pets, poor Ted.....

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 07:00:31 pm by Overdose »