Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fire balls  (Read 1488 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fire balls
« on: September 01, 2008, 02:29:34 pm »

lets say i gave an adventurer the ability to throw fireballs. is it possible and if so how would i throw them?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: fire balls
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:42:59 pm »

Only AI can do it for now.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:29:06 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:55:21 pm »

ok what about fliers can i fly if i give a creature the flier tag?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:59:53 pm »

Yes. Flying is bugged for fortress mode though, as is amphibious movement.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:18:27 am »

Ha ha, ha ha ha.

Balls.

Ha ha.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:27:46 am »

lets say i gave an adventurer the ability to throw fireballs. is it possible and if so how would i throw them?

Oh now I see it. Give him a "right fire ball" and "left fire ball" bodyparts. Let someone tear them off, pick them up and throw them :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 03:08:47 pm »

that would be epic.
but i think ill just mod in the fireball item or something like that.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 05:16:27 pm »

that would be epic.
but i think ill just mod in the fireball item or something like that.
They'd be on fire..  Not really feasible to pick up a flaming object..  Unless you're flame immune.. and that's not just [FIREIMMUNE] or [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]
No, that only gives your race the knowledge that they're fire immune.  Doesn't make them any more immune than not doing anything.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:24 pm »

is it possible to mod in an item called fireball launcher? that shoots projectiles that do fire damage?

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

That should be pretty easy, I think. Just copy the crossbow, but rename it and edit the damage/stats/w/e to whatever a fireball launcher would be like, and copy bolts, but make them do fire damage and edit the damage/stats/etc... Oh and also make sure the fireball launcher uses fireballs, and not bolts like the original crossbow does  :P

That should work, right? Never made a fire damage weapon, but I'm sure it's straightforward.

Oh, but since all objects are made of a certain material, you might want to add in a stone/metal called "fire," and have the launcher named as a "Ball launcher" and the ammo as "ball," then make them out of "fire" to create fire ball launchers and fire balls, unless you would rather steel fireballs hehe... oh wait, it could just be a flaming metal ball... oh well, same difference.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 12:31:05 am »

is it possible to mod in an item called fireball launcher? that shoots projectiles that do fire damage?

As Vaiolis said*, but FYI there are two options for "fire" damage types:  BURN and HEAT.  The only apparent differences are the damage text, though HEAT presumably can ignite things.  Several people have reported burning corpses, though live NPCs don't seem to catch fire.

*More or less, anyway.  Make a copy of the [ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW] entry in item_weapon.txt, but rename it something like [ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_FLAMETHROWER].  Then change the piece that says something like [RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT] to, say, [RANGED:CROSSBOW:FBALL] (if you don't mind the weapon being unusable by dwarves in Fort mode, change CROSSBOW to THROW).  Adjust the other stats as you like.

Then make a copy of bolts in item_ammo.txt.  Rename it as before to something like [ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_FLAMETHROWER].  There should be an entry along the lines of [CLASS:BOLT].  Change that to match the launcher ([CLASS:FBALL] in this case).  Change the damage type to BURN or HEAT (I'd try the latter).

The weapon now exists but is still unavailable.  You'll have to add it to a civ.  Open entity_default.txt and add a WEAPON entry for it to whichever civ(s) you like.  Also add the appropriate AMMO entry.  If you made it use the THROW skill, then not only will no NPCs come equipped with it (AFAIK), but the only way you'll find the weapon or its ammo is by creating it yourself in Fort mode (so you'll have to make some then visit the fort in Adventure mode to get your hands on it).  If it uses the CROSSBOW skill, you should occasionally bump into NPCs wielding them.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 12:41:16 am by Earthquake Damage »