Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dangerous terrain 40c  (Read 593 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dangerous terrain 40c
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:36:50 pm »

I'm making a huge underground forest/river system, and now that everything is drying and there are 1 depth puddles everywhere, it's totally messing up the pathfinding with all my dwarves. Lots of job cancellations all over the place because of 'dangerous terrain'. Also, my river is lined with ramps because I thought that looks nice and maybe safer, but that's another thing that might be causing these problems. In any case, there really isn't any dangerous terrain, and there are no paths that are actually blocked by deep water.

I bet its the ramps. I should drain the river and remove them.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dangerous terrain 40c
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:45:39 pm »

Ok, I think I found the problem. I found a collection of stuck dwarves in my river, trying to cross via the ramped sides at a place that is 3 or 4 deep due to a nearby drainage tunnel. I just need to remove the ramps. If dwarves fall in they fall in.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:08:51 pm »

Well, I shut off the river hours ago and it's taking forever to drain so I can remove the ramps. The hilarious thing is that more and more of my dwarves are using the river as a path, and are starting to gain quite a bit of swimming skill. I'd build bridges for them but the job always gets cancelled by dangerous terrain. I wonder what will happen first, the river drains, or all my dwarves can swim such that the terrain will no longer be dangerous.

My latest forts:

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:00:44 am »

You could try altering routes by making the river bottom a restricted zone. I also add ramps to any river, and restricting the river bottom (plus maybe a few bridges) usually does the trick for me.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:24:40 pm »

I completely forgot about restricting the terrain. That would have saved alot of grief. It's too late now, I will forever have dwarves clogging my plumbing because they all think they can save time by flushing themselves down the toilet. What a disgrace.

We lost alot of babies at first, as it appears mothers have to drop them in order to swim. By this time however it seems that the babies can just float in 5 deep water without harm. No doubt they'll be my expert swimmers when they grow up by treading water for months as their mothers fear to pick them up.

My latest forts: