Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sniffy Levers  (Read 696 times)

Fensfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sniffy Levers
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:52:48 am »

Right then.  The main entrance to my fortress is a pair of bridges over a chasm that lift in either direction, blocking both tunnels ( to dissuade any of the locals from taking advantage of a siege ), and a retracting bridge that when /not/ retracted, acts as a cap to block the wagon sized hole that opens onto the overland map.

The retracing bridge is linked to two levers - one lever that solely controls the retracting bridge, and another that /should/ control the raising bridges over the chasm And the retracting bridge.  Plan was, to use the first lever to retract the 'cap' on the entrance, and then in times of siege, throw the second one, causing the retracting bridge to extend and cover the entrance while the raising bridges blocked the chasm off on both sides.

It doesn't seem to have worked.

Am I doing something wrong?

As is, the lever dedicated to the retracting bridge works fine, but the lever connected to all three bridges only controls the cap when it's doing the same as the bridges over the chasm - that is, it will only extend the 'cap' when the chasm bridges would lower, and will only retract it when they would raise.  It was my assumption that pulling the lever just made the bridges change from whatever state they were currently in to the other.. not whatever it's doing here.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:59:52 am by Fensfield »

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sniffy Levers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:58:01 am »

Nope, unfortunately, levers have an on/off state, and objects that can be attached to levers also have an on/off state.  When a lever changes its state, it changes all the objects that it is attached to to that state as well.  If an object is already in that state, then nothing changes.  Since you want your retracting bridge to be in an "on" state when your draw bridges are in an "off" state, this cannot be accomplished with a single lever attached to both sets of objects.

Fensfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sniffy Levers
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:59:13 am »

Bother.  Oh well, two levers it is.