Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Corpses not rotting (possible spoiler)  (Read 1259 times)

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Corpses not rotting (possible spoiler)
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:29:03 pm »

My fortress got run over by demons after I went too deep, and I reclaimed it afterwards. The reclamation party managed to wipe out the demons that were left, including one of these guys, but took heavy casualties and the few surviving dwarves descended into madness. I reclaimed it yet again, and there were of course objects and bones everywhere. But this demon corpse was left. Three years later, the corpse is still there, unrotten. I thought this might be a feature with big bad demons until I saw the following:

Up on a hill, one of the previous inhabitants also rests in peace without rotting. I met another previous inhabitant, a berserk fisherdwarf who was killed instantly. He was buried by my new dwarves, and most of the old bones were stacked on my graveyard stockpile, but this guy just lies there. Neither the demon nor the dwarf corpse is forbidden, but noone will touch them. And they never rot. I'm not sure how this guy died, though.

The demon corpse is currently just a nice decoration and noone seems to care nor even notice it, so it doesn't bother me, but it's rather odd so I thought you'd better know :)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Corpses not rotting (possible spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:01:26 pm »

He can't do anything without a save IIRC.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:02:34 pm »

He can't do anything without a save IIRC.
Oh right, I'll see if I can upload it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:02:41 pm »

Yeah, if you've still got it, I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Vaftrudner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 08:42:13 pm »

Yeah, if you've still got it, I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
I actually started a new fortress in the same world, but the save went corrupt. I get a runtime error whenever I try to load the fortress. This might be because of me playing with wine on Ubuntu, I'm not sure. Anyway, I put the entire region5 folder in a .7z, it's well below 20 megs so I'll have it sent over to you, in case you want to have a look at what might be wrong with it apart from the corpses ;) Thanks. The fortress I abandoned with the corpses is Barbvessels.

Edit: Oh, by the way, I've made no changes to the raws.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:48:17 pm by Vaftrudner »