Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] World Gen Crash  (Read 720 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
[40c] World Gen Crash
« on: August 23, 2008, 12:54:47 pm »

Hi!

I am not really sure whether I have collected the right information. And maybe it is something obvious.

The thing is, I have tried again to create a world with a lot of history, and yet again, DF crashed during generation. EDIT: The change date of the errorlog.txt file does not match. So the Random Buffer Overload is seemingly not related to this crash

What I did was creating a MEDIUM world with lots of forests and mountains to help elven survival rate. Ignoring megabeast death, I had set it to run till the year 10,000 and I had about 500 caves altogether. In order to have lots of history in engravings, I had set all biome-relevant variances to 100 so as to get large mountain chains and forests.

The last snapshot file in the current directory was dated 3030. As I was out for a walk (I expected this to take a few hours), I can't really say much about the status at the time of the crash and the exact seed is unknown as I was using random seeds.

The crash was an orderly one that the desktop was back in front together with an information window that the application runtime had requested an extraordinary abort or some such. The music was still alive. Upon confirmation, things got packed up and I got the standard message from Windows about aborting software and sending infos to Micro$oft.

I know, this is rather vague, but hopefully, I can get at least some advice. If need be, I can try to figure out a seed set that causes such a crash again (well, I do have the parameters) and post it.

Deathworks
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:23:02 pm by Deathworks »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: [40c] World Gen Crash
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 03:22:47 pm »

I just had the Random Buffer Overload, accompanied by a totally different world gen - the biomes were changed, and good/evil areas got shuffled, so It's definitely related to worldgen, but I don't think the seed matters - it kept doing it no matter what seed I used until I restarted DF.

It didn't cause a crash or any problems other than the altered world though. After restarting DF I've generated dozens of worlds without experiencing the problem again, so finding a way to reproduce it might prove difficult.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:21:08 pm »

Does anybody have a param set/seed that causes the Random Buffer Overload log message to appear reliably?  I haven't seen that one.

I'm not sure what's up with the crash.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:57:45 pm »

I think it might be something that doesn't depend on seeds at all, as mine only did it reliably until I shut down DF and restarted it. After that the exact same seeds that were causing it went back to normal and genned fine. Probably related to genning multiple worlds in succession, as the time it happened to me I had genned about 40 worlds looking for a seed that I liked :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 04:43:47 am »

Hi!

Currently, I am short on time (cleaning up my hard drives has swallowed most of the past days), so I have no new info on world gen (I am concentrating at finishing at least one proper fortress to share with people.

As for the Random Buffer issue, I think Paul has the right idea there. The change date of the error log definitely fits to a phase where I did a lot of world genning, in one session having dozens of aborted seeds and even two or three fully generated/stored worlds. During my recent, much smaller world genning sessions, I did not encounter that error again. So, I think it is likely to be a cleaning up issue with multiple world genning in a single session.

Deathworks