Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Runaway Inflation on the Anvil Market  (Read 1360 times)

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
[40c] Runaway Inflation on the Anvil Market
« on: September 06, 2008, 08:47:24 pm »

I've been running a fort for ten game years now, and I've noticed the price of anvils is steadily going up.  I embarked with one, and bought a second a few years later from the human caravan at the standard price of 2 (giant cave spider silk socks) 1000 dwarfbucks for an iron anvil.  It's now 1062 (I started this fort in 1052), and the human caravan is selling iron anvils for 1960 dwarfbucks.  Since buying the second anvil, I have never asked for more anvils to be imported, nor noted them as an asked-for export.

There's been a gradual buildup, as I can recall seeing them for 1200-something a few years prior.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Runaway Inflation on the Anvil Market
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:47:23 pm »

Update: The dwarf caravan just came and their anvils are holding steady at 1000 for iron and 3000 for steel, as normal.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »

Maybe it is because they had a high import price in the last year (i.e.  we will buy from you anvils for 196%) and this also affects the prices for which they sell items to you

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »

Materials scarcity may be the problem.  The 1063 human caravan just showed up, bearing 15 iron anvils, back at the baseline price of 1000.  There were only three or four anvils on the 1062 caravan.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:47:26 pm »

The prices of all goods are static. The merchants charge a percentage of the item's base price depending on what they have and what they want, and on previous years' trade agreements with you. The anvils costing 1960 were sold at 196% of 1000, the base price, and that's because you asked them to bring anvils with the bar set to the far right (====O) prompting them to charge a jacked-up amount. I've never seen it exceed 200%. Other variations are also normal, I rarely get charged the same price for an identical item from two separate caravans.

This definitely doesn't sound like a bug of any kind, just normal trade mechanics. Happy governing.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 11:00:19 pm »

I like ordering lots of wood, price doesn't really go above 5, and 5 per is cheap, hee hee.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 05:23:28 am »

*stuff*
I do wonder what your assumption was here.  Did you think I was:
A) lying,
B) stupid,
C) not communicating properly,
or D) more than one of the above?

Because one or more of those three assumptions is the only reason I can see for reading "I never ordered anvils" and thinking "Hey, he must have ordered anvils!"  This is, of course, discounting more malicious motivations.

If I seem hostile, it's merely a hot-blooded reaction to an apparent doubt about my intelligence and/or veracity.  For your information, the only things I've ordered from the humans since about 1065 are logs (all kinds), brass/copper/zinc/silver/gold, and pearlash/potash/charcoal/lye.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 08:03:52 am »

Im just woundering if your nobles have changed the price of goods? this can drive specific items in a nobles likes/dislikes particularly high.

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 08:08:28 am »

Another possibility that comes to mind - perhaps the humans ordered anvils from you?  If the humans had put in a high priority request for anvils from your fortress as part of the trade agreement (jacking up their buy price) perhaps they also raised their corresponding sell price to prevent you from repeatedly selling anvils at 1960 and buying them back at 1000.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:30:21 am »

ITs not like I really pay attention to trade prices all that much (more the weight actually) but as I recall quite a few times the human anvil prices were inflated over what the dwarfs had to offer (and no I dont order anvils from humans either because I like steel ones).  I think Troas is on the right track though.