Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trophies  (Read 1444 times)

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
Trophies
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:26:38 am »

Does anyone else like to keep trophies from the Goblins?  Or other enemies, for that matter.
I like masks and skull totems.

I've got a big stockpile set to unusable equipment, and totems, in my great hall.  I melt down all the weapons and armor, and sell all the clothes, but I keep the Goblin Totems and the Masks.  I'm actually trying to decorate them as well, mostly with glass and bone (the two main products of my fortress).

I've currently got them in this big pile in the middle of the great hall, but I was wondering if anyone could think of some other way to use them to decorate.

Also, do Dwarves admire objects in stockpiles?  Or do I have to get around to building a shop so that they actually 'own' the item in question?  It'd be kinda cool if they counted as decorations for my meeting hall, and made dwarves happy.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trophies
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:02:12 pm »

Trophies.
Well, I keep some of the goblins as trophies, as exhibitions of my metro zoo.

At least some of the goblins that get caught in my cage traps.

Other caught goblins however are forced to enter my Labyrinth of pain. Here they have the chance to escape into freedom through a labyrinth that is full of weapon traps (each one filled with just one weapon).
Well, if they´re lucky and chose the right path they can get through the labyrinth with just 3 whiplashes + 1 daggerstroke + 1 stonefall trap. If they chose another part, well, most other weapon traps contain things like serrating discs, spiked balls, giant axeblades or menacing spikes, and although it would be not impossible to survive these pathways, it would be rather uncommon (especially as there are usually at least 5 weapon traps you have to pass, no matter which way you take ;) [with the exception of the "right" way that I mentioned])

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:41 pm »

Caged golbins make wonderful real, live practice for your dwarves. Nothing trains better than fighting the actual enemy.

Or, maybe it's a test. Cage a goblin, and in order for your dwarf to pass into active service, he has to kill this goblin.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:15:58 pm »

I use goblins as a quick and easy solution to invalids eating precious, precious plump helmets. This failed once when an ill-fated dwarf's legendary child protected his father and depleted my goblin supply all at once. I had to settle with locking him in his room, afterwards.

I keep a small cache of home-made artifacts and captured goblin idols and dwarf leather accessories in a reliquary in the back of my chapel. There's also two totems, made of human and goblin skulls next to the entrance, just to remind all traders and visitors that Bearded Tomb ain't nuthin' to f*** with.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 09:23:05 pm »

Also, do Dwarves admire objects in stockpiles?  Or do I have to get around to building a shop so that they actually 'own' the item in question?  It'd be kinda cool if they counted as decorations for my meeting hall, and made dwarves happy.
No, they don't include stockpiled stuff.  I wish I could add something else to this post but uh, I never really pay attention to emotions.  With masterwork statues + decorations worth over 10k every 5 tiles, they don't really get many negative thoughts that push them below content.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 06:17:38 am »

I use goblins as a quick and easy solution to invalids eating precious, precious plump helmets.
Butchering kittens, trapping nobles in nefarious ways, using immigrants as spearfodder - all of these are acceptable parts of dwarven life.

But killing of your injured, some of who may be veteran soldiers or just generally cool dwarves? That's low. Real low. Like, 15 z-levels low.

ACE91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SECTOR91 Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 07:40:05 am »

I'm currently taking all of the unusable armor and weapons from the goblins (as well as any valuable junk that I can buy/steal from traders) and storing it in a room in a deep underground maze, surrounded by captured goblin soldiers in cages which can be opened by a lever. Then I'll see if any adventurer can actually make it to this hoard after I abandon this fort.
ACE91, Programmer cancels Strange Mood: Went insane.
because there's only one reality.
Says who?

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 09:46:44 pm »

I use goblins as a quick and easy solution to invalids eating precious, precious plump helmets.
Butchering kittens, trapping nobles in nefarious ways, using immigrants as spearfodder - all of these are acceptable parts of dwarven life.

But killing of your injured, some of who may be veteran soldiers or just generally cool dwarves? That's low. Real low. Like, 15 z-levels low.

Euthanasia of that sort is only for dwarves who haven't proven themselves in battle and have broken spines or necks.
Better that they die in helpless battle with their mortal enemies and live on in our memories as martyrs and the heroes they could have been than to lie in bed for the rest of their lives, reminding everyone of their own fallibility and the random hand of tragedy. Can't have that.
The ones that get crippled in combat remain and regale the younger generations with tales of bloodshed and endurance.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD