Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Notification when a trap hits a hidden monster  (Read 1231 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Notification when a trap hits a hidden monster
« on: November 26, 2008, 07:07:52 pm »

I've got three requests, in order of likelihood:

- First, let traps notify and pause when a sneaking monster sets them off.  I've got a minefield of scattered stonefall traps all over my above-ground, and I'd love to know when something hits one.  I don't need to know what they hit, just that they got set off.  My dwarves obviously know when they go off, so they can go and reload them...

- An option for pressure plates to pause and notify when they get stepped on.  Again, not what set them off, just that they got set off.  Allow me to choose whether my citizens set them off...Heck, just make them like normal pressure plates, but with a "don't notify / notify / pause and notify" option.

- Options related to general trap notification, stonefall or not:  Ignore, pause and notify when set off by sneaking enemy, pause and notify when set off by any enemy, same options but without pausing.  My justification for distinguishing between sneaking or not:  Well, it's useful to the player to know when a sneaking enemy has been discovered.  And since the player should be able to just zoom over there and look at "Is there a VISIBLE monster?  No?  It must have been a sneaking one"...  Just skip that step and notify only when a sneaking enemy hits it.  Oh yeah, and this request is for the options menu.  I would very much approve if it was on a per-trap basis, but that sounds like a lot more work.

I mean, it's cool to zip aboveground and see that there's dead monsters on a few of my stonefall traps, but I can't help but think "it would have been useful to know that while I was busy watching my guys fight the ones I already knew were there, so they didn't get flanked".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Notification when a trap hits a hidden monster
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:43:34 pm »

If you know a sneaking enemy hit the trap... they can't be sneaking anymore.  They are either unconcious or dead, in most all circumstances. Unless you mod in sneaking larger creatures, of course.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:16:28 pm »

Sneaking critters hit my traps and keep walking all the time, judging by the blood splatters and lack of corpses.  Of course, I'm currently playing the Fallout mod, but I seem to remember this happening with goblins sometimes too.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:28:02 pm »

plus, one goblin dies, sure, but a horde?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 03:46:20 am »

...Allow me to choose whether my citizens set them off...
You can already do that.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:27:49 am »

Which is why I said "make them like normal pressure plates".  I could see an option being implemented for monsters only, but I might also want to know when my dwarves sneak off somewhere that I hoped they wouldn't.

Anyway, if you've never gotten "a bad feeling about this" when the game starts to lag, and popped up aboveground to watch your minefield...as little blood splatters suddenly appear in your stonefall traps, making trails and occasionally turning into corpses...well, you're missing out.  It's a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:05:26 pm by Sowelu »