Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding in riot shields, question.  (Read 860 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Modding in riot shields, question.
« on: August 30, 2008, 07:52:44 pm »

So im moding in riot shields and I see the tags [UPSTEP] and [ARMORLEVEL]
Im guessing armor level is for determining what dwarves pick up when you set their armor level in the prefrences page to stuff higher than clothes? I have no clue what upstep does =\
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in riot shields, question.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 07:55:55 pm »

So im moding in riot shields and I see the tags [UPSTEP] and [ARMORLEVEL]
Im guessing armor level is for determining what dwarves pick up when you set their armor level in the prefrences page to stuff higher than clothes? I have no clue what upstep does =\
For shields, ARMORLEVEL can be 1 or 2, and decides buckler class or shield class, respectively.
UPSTEP means how far up from the body part the shield is wielded on (hand..) it protects.  Best to leave it alone, or you could even set it higher or MAX, but anything lower and you'll be decreasing the effectiveness a lot.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:39:13 am »

Also I consider MAX for shields as a cheat :). Unless you make an "energy shield" :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:54:32 am »

Whats the highest you can set it to before reaching max?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 01:04:14 am »

It is determined by the body structure of the wielder :).

So UPSTEP:1 determines that the hand + lower arm only are covered by the shield (with buckler) and UPSTEB:2 determines that the shield covers the whole arm (as with usual shield). If you make UPSTEP:3 it will cover the upperbody too since it connects to the arm, and UPSTEP:4 will cover lowerbody+head+another upper arm. Every new number covers another 1 level of bodyparts which connect to the previous. Did you watch Matrix? Do you remember what happened when Neo touched strange mirror-like material and it started to cover his body? That's pretty same.

Note that the shield user skill will allow you to block any attack anyway, the UPSTEP just determines the armor-level of bodyparts when they are actually hit, so being hit in the shield-wielding arm is the same as if you wore an armor there, and if you had an armor you'd get double defence bonus (from armor + shield covering).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 08:07:52 am »

Tower shields would be a medieval equivalent to the modern riot shield, what with MAX coverage, yes?  Look up "pavise" on Wikipedia for an idea of these.  Also see "testudo" for a good idea if Toady implements squad formations in the War Arc.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 09:13:37 am »

UPSTEP only determines the extent of the actual protection, not blocking. Also, it has the same meaning as with gloves - it only goes along LIMB parts, so MAX will stop at the first non-LIMB part in the tree, which means the upper body.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India