Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Jails
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 01:30:08 pm »

Quote from: Astus Ater link=topic=23972.msg266539#msg266539
You aren't the country. Perhaps a county or a barony, but the country involves [i
all[/i] fortresses. Plus, killing nobles is the easy way out. Be a man...er Dwarf.

Seconded. Anybody can kill off their nobles.. it's much more difficult and satisfying to actually appease them, and therefore more fun.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 01:47:35 pm »

I make my jails like super bedrooms. A bed, a drink stockpile, a prepared food stockpile, a table and chair, all in engraved stone.

Just with no doors, and a more compact layout centered on a well (in case of hammerings).

Oh yes, and I make the rooms large enough to encompass a few nice statues.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 03:24:04 pm »

I just threw 20 copper chains into a large, engraved room and called it good.  Of course everyone so far has been punished with either beating or hammering, so the jail isn't seeing much use.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

hexrei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 08:45:35 pm »

Successfully led the country until you killed them?

Gee, and here I thought I was running the country. In any case, it seems to run even more efficiently when they aren't around demanding that I make crappy trinkets out of materials I can't acquire.

You aren't the country. Perhaps a county or a barony, but the country involves all fortresses. Plus, killing nobles is the easy way out. Be a man...er Dwarf.

Then I secede! I challenge any army to take my fortress by force!

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 09:28:45 pm »

Hey, when the Army Arc comes around, you won't even be those any more.  You'll be the barony or county seat.

I'm afraid I goofed up slightly in my design, and then said "Hell with it, I ain't gonna bother fixing it.  How many are actually going to get tossed in the slammer anyway?"
Basically, I have about a dozen chains in two rows, each with their own booze, bed, table, and chair.  They've all got three squares of seperation, so the prisoners can't brawl, and the rows were supposed to have five spaces of seperation, so the whoever's coming down has a clear isle.  Unfortunately, I miscounted, and have four, so if the prison is full, the warden'll have to be in arms reach of one or the other.  Doh.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 10:55:26 pm »

I usually just make a 2x1 smoothed room with a door (for aesthetics) with a chain and a bed inside. The dwarf will sleep in the bed, which stops him from going insane from lack of sleep (is this even a problem anymore?)

I don't bother with a booze or food stockpile because other dwarves will bring him food and water, and the stockpiles usually end up getting emptied by other dwarves so it's all kind of a pain to manage.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Weev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 11:35:22 am »

Chains not made out of metal can be broken by a berserking/tantruming dwarf.  That's why everyone here says make 'em out of metal.
Oddly enough I find it weird that Dwarves currently cannot attain godhood.
Pages: 1 [2]