Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Melting Point and Boiling Point  (Read 2411 times)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
Re: Melting Point and Boiling Point
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 07:02:32 am »

the crazy thing with the smallest particules is that  they are grouped by 3 and if you try to take thme away you will have the two groups of 3 (because it needs so many energi to cut them that it can recreate the missing part with it ... ) at least these things show that there is no differnece between material end energie ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

ivegotgoodabs

• Bay Watcher
  • Horo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 12:40:41 am »

gravity owns

4D geometry is the best

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 01:10:59 am »

Meaning of life would be good. I know its 42, but why is it 42?
we could always just ramble on like idiots!

Heron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 01:53:28 am »

It's possible to go beyond absolute zero. There's usually no point in trying to measure that though. Once molecules are at absolute zero, they no longer move, and it's quite possible that the incoming energy that was always present around them actually kept their own energy contained, so once it is gone, the molecules and atoms may start to deteriorate, as they lose energy. They will still give off heat, at absolute zero, and will eventually cool down and fall apart, with most of their energy radiated away. It's less than absolute zero at that point, but it's not until the elemental particles themselves dissipate into nothingness that it becomes Absolutely cold.

I guess the "heat death of the universe" is pretty close to that description, although I remember it having to do something with entropy rather than abstract "energy pressure".

Not to insult you or anything, but this is one of the worst explanations of anything I've ever heard. And I've read some Erick von Daniken.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 02:06:42 am »

Hehe. I know. :) I could probably use different wordings at places (such as molecules "giving off heat" at absolute zero), but in general, the theory is as plausible as any other, since there's no way to test whether it's true or false.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 06:50:05 am »

I guess the "heat death of the universe" is pretty close to that description, although I remember it having to do something with entropy rather than abstract "energy pressure".

If I remember correctly, the heat death is where everything stands still because every form of energy has changed into the (useless)energy form heat.

And why does it matter, maths and physics and other sciences is something for the elves...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 12:21:02 am »

With regards to why Fahrenheit.. since the units are smaller, it allows for finer control.  And as for why 10000 is the start point.. partly that could just be the best use of the variable assigned.  With a range of roughly 65000, most materials will be gasses long before they hit the upper limit.  And since DF has a fairly robust heat engine built into it, having DF temp of 1 could potentially result in some interesting effects.

Bringing up magic, what if when it comes into the game, there is a spell that creates a pebble with a heat of 1.  With the heat engine, it'll of course start sucking up heat from everything near it.  Before you know it.. Orcsicles.
Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 04:18:26 am »

If I remember correctly, the heat death is where everything stands still because every form of energy has changed into the (useless)energy form heat.
no energy no materiel, these are not separate things ...  anyway energy IS in fact the material, movement is just a relative thing ... earth is moving too but i don't see it becouse i am on it's repear ...
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 [2]