Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing trade items  (Read 524 times)

jellyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing trade items
« on: August 27, 2008, 04:38:34 pm »

What determines which trade items a civilization brings?

Specifically is there any way to make civilizations other than dwarf trade in gems?

Also I have an idea for a bulk trading work around.  Create an item called 'bulk steel' for instance.  And a smelter reaction called 'Unpack bulk steel' which makes 10 steel bars (or whatever) from each bulk steel.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing trade items
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:24:19 pm »

The workaround is interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

[GEM_PREF] probably solves your other problem.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:59:21 pm »

That workaround requires lots of extra items for something that could easily be addressed with a bin.  A bin can hold 10 bars of metal, thus use that.
Not to mention that the way the game currently works, that'd allow for On the item is an image of a dwarf and a dwarf in Bulk steel by Urist McMetalsmith.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:22:39 pm »

I think he meant it as a workaround for getting civs to bring more metal - right now metal is so heavy they don't bring much, even if you set the price to the max. It might work, but if you made it a metal it would probably cause the whole "soandso likes bulk steel" and have craft items made from it available for trade.

You could also reduce the weight of metal to make them bring more, but that opens up a whole new can of worms: all items made from it would also be proportionately lighter, and most of the items are incredibly light for the amount of metal weight that they take to make.

Oh, and I confirm that GEM_PREF does make them trade in gems. You can do the same for stone and metals (metal_pref just gives them the best metal available, steel in the unmodded game).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 04:24:37 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link