Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first ambush  (Read 1388 times)

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
My first ambush
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:24:38 pm »

Yes, kids, it's been leading up to it. So, I was chilling after having constructed my walls, and was building the appropiate doors for it, when suddenly, there was bang, and poof! Human caravan.

Not too bad, I thought. The humans brought the usual junk, a few iron objects which I traded my bins full of worthless shell crafts for. Yadada.

Goblins show up. They show up way off the map though, so it's all good.

So, they come rushing around the corner of my walls to get to my entrance way, when they encounter my apparently well placed trade depot swelling with human guards. The humans lose two, and the golbins are completely destroyed. Good stuff. Even better yet, they all dropped a crapload of iron objects, so I get the best out of it. Then a snatcher shows up, gets capped by my marksdwarf and drops even more golbin goods.

Yay Humans!
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: My first ambush
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:42:17 pm »

Yes, kids, it's been leading up to it. So, I was chilling after having constructed my walls, and was building the appropiate doors for it, when suddenly, there was bang, and poof! Human caravan.

Not too bad, I thought. The humans brought the usual junk, a few iron objects which I traded my bins full of worthless shell crafts for. Yadada.

Goblins show up. They show up way off the map though, so it's all good.

So, they come rushing around the corner of my walls to get to my entrance way, when they encounter my apparently well placed trade depot swelling with human guards. The humans lose two, and the golbins are completely destroyed. Good stuff. Even better yet, they all dropped a crapload of iron objects, so I get the best out of it. Then a snatcher shows up, gets capped by my marksdwarf and drops even more golbin goods.

Yay Humans!

Believe me when I say that eventually you will get very, very tired of those 'awesome' goblin goods..

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:49:11 pm »

How so?
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:14:15 pm »

There's only so much you can do with a million narrow cave spider silk loincloths.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 07:58:19 pm »

Really?  So far, I kinda like them.  Got a fortress lasting for about six years, the little things are junky, yeah, but the iron armor is meltable, the iron weapons are useable, and every once in a while you get some *<<=(Giant Cave Spider Sock)=>>* which, though tattered and covered in blood, vomit, and mud, is often enough to buy most of a caravan.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:24:02 pm »

If every siege gets you 20 dead goblins you drown in giant cavespider clothes ;D

As for iron armor:
It always depends where you are. On a map with enough minerals that contain iron (like limonite or magnetite) it isnīt worth to melt down the iron armor as even an iron platemail gives you less than 1 bar of iron.
On maps without iron (or only little iron) it might be more useful however and might be your only source of iron aside from caravans :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:28:36 pm by Proteus »

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:56 pm »

On a map with magma and flux, the extra iron is great!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:09:24 pm »

There's only so much you can do with a million narrow cave spider silk loincloths.

I'm tempted to make this my signature.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 10:14:02 pm »

I remember my first ambush.

Strike the earth!
Random McDwarfyguy cancels pick up equipment: interrupted by Giant Cave Spider.
Random McDwarfyguy has been struck down! x7

Losing is fun.  Most fun I've ever had in 30 seconds. :)
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:49:07 pm »

I've had to create a stockpile that will only accept all the narrow goblin crap I don't want so I can mass chasm the lot of it.  Just for fun I've been giving caravans truly obscene profits, using about half rock crafts and half goblin crap.  The GCS silk stuff was handy after my broker died and I was training the new guy, instead of worrying about how much stuff cost I could just throw socks at it until I bought out the caravan.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

glitchopo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:21 pm »

I just had my first ambush too. Everything was going along swimmingly... or so I thought until I lost over half my population.  :o Needless to say the dwarves weren't too happy after that.

Time to work out how to build effective traps.

incidentally only a few were dispatched by goblins the rest died of thirst due to no water source which was a bit weird since I had three wells.

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 12:22:11 am »

Ive never had to bother with more than two weapons in any trap. My current 'catch the ambushes before they get into the fort proper 'cause I cant be bothered to deal with that piddly shit' traps each have two copper spikes each and do the job just fine.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 08:33:13 am »

The GCS silk stuff was handy after my broker died and I was training the new guy, instead of worrying about how much stuff cost I could just throw socks at it until I bought out the caravan.

"So, Cog McBroker, how much is it?"
*"I have no idea, but have some socks."
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:43:36 am »

The GCS silk stuff was handy after my broker died and I was training the new guy, instead of worrying about how much stuff cost I could just throw socks at it until I bought out the caravan.
"So, Cog McBroker, how much is it?"
*"I have no idea, but have some socks."
LOL! So true.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 07:57:40 pm »

If you decorate the goblin crap with cloth, it becomes your own product and can be used to abuse the export value

Nothing like 3000% profit margins and massive donations to draw in merchants